AVS Discussions

Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: Barry on September 08, 2022, 02:30:24 PM

Title: When you wish upon a star: Disney+ Pinocchio review
Post by: Barry on September 08, 2022, 02:30:24 PM
When you wish upon a star: Disney+ Pinocchio

The star they wished on was Tom Hanks who plays Geppetto.

Trivia question: When was the last time, in a Disney live action movie, they played, “I have no strings on me?”

This is another attempt by Disney to mine their vaults and redo an animated picture into live action.  They did it with Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King and Dumbo, which turned out not to be a big hit.

First, I must say that it is hard to call this live action. Its animated and computer created. It looks astonishing to me. But I guess that is something we have gotten used to.

The movie follows the plot of the 1940 animated film, which I still enjoy.  I particularly enjoyed the first half hour of the film (and catch the Disney characters in Hank’s wall clocks) and the singing performance of the Blue Fairy.  I wish there was MUCH more of the original songs and music in this one, rather than the new ones. And I wish the cat and the Blue Fairy had bigger parts, as they did in the original. And the trip to Pleasure Island is scary, but the animated version scared me more!  Of course I was young then.

This is not a bad movie, it is a good one, but, frankly, it does not come close to the original. Tom Hanks starts off great, but the character gets a bit too silly for me, especially when he walks around with a fish tank. But, I must say, I really enjoyed the ending.

When I show Pinocchio to my young niece and nephew, the star they wish on will be animated and 80 years old. There was no need to remake this movie.

Trivia answer: Disney used that theme for Ultron, the android, in the second Avengers movie!



Title: Re: When you wish upon a star: Disney+ Pinocchio review
Post by: SRW1000 on September 08, 2022, 08:36:29 PM
That's too bad.  What should have been an easy home run turns into a single. 

Could be interesting to compare it against Guillermo del Toro's animated Pinocchio that's coming out on Netflix.
Title: Re: When you wish upon a star: Disney+ Pinocchio review
Post by: bmoney on September 09, 2022, 07:05:44 AM
Def hoping it’s better than dumbo lol that was.  Not good
Title: Re: When you wish upon a star: Disney+ Pinocchio review
Post by: David Vaughn on September 09, 2022, 11:11:02 AM
Def hoping it’s better than dumbo lol that was.  Not good
My wife and I actually enjoyed Dumbo somewhat. Not a great movie, but watchable and enjoyable. 
Title: Re: When you wish upon a star: Disney+ Pinocchio review
Post by: bmoney on September 09, 2022, 11:47:26 AM
i dont mind the new adaptations to live/cgi  gives a differnt look
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal