AVS Discussions

General => Home Theater Misc. => Topic started by: AVSJeff on June 11, 2022, 04:13:16 PM

Title: Home Theater Lighting Control
Post by: AVSJeff on June 11, 2022, 04:13:16 PM
I have a quick question: Are you using lighting control in your home theater? If so, what are you using and how are you integrating it with the control system/remote for your theater?
Title: Re: Home Theater Lighting Control
Post by: bmoney on June 11, 2022, 04:44:21 PM
I’m using the Lutron controller. Can set scenes based on what Is going on in the theater. Cool stuff 
Title: Re: Home Theater Lighting Control
Post by: DLCPhoto on June 11, 2022, 04:49:05 PM
I'm using Control4. I used to use a Harmony Remote, with which I could partially integrate some smart bulbs. But switching to Control4 provided a huge improvement in all aspects of control, customization and integration. Pricey, but it is on a completely different plane from Harmony, Alexa, Google Assistant, etc.

So a single command (voice or phone app or dedicated tablet) will turn on all the devices in my theater, dim the lights, mute the volume, switch inputs, adjusts the HVAC, etc. And same when I'm done - a single command slowly ramps down the volume, ramps up the lights, and turns everything off.
Title: Re: Home Theater Lighting Control
Post by: SRW1000 on June 11, 2022, 05:44:28 PM
My solution is much simpler, a Lutron IR dimmer switch which I can control with my URC remote control.

The controls are basic, fade on, fade off, and then up and down buttons to raise and lower the light levels, but it works well for my system.
Title: Re: Home Theater Lighting Control
Post by: David Vaughn on June 11, 2022, 08:47:39 PM
I'm using a URC remote along with their RF switchers(MRF-S6AM-URC-WH. They are discontinued, but I look for used ones on eBay and snatch them up whenever I can. I have a couple lights on dimmers...one in my actual room and the other in my adjoining kitchen. I also have switches on my fan, another set of overhead lights (in the theater), my main kitchen lights, plus all of my outside lighting. 
Title: Re: Home Theater Lighting Control
Post by: Paul Heroy on June 12, 2022, 12:39:17 AM
I put in some Philips Hue lights (the white adjustable, not color) and then set them up with Alexa & and Echo for voice control. Set up a couple of scenes in the Hue app. It's easy, inexpensive and gives all the options & control I need.
Title: Re: Home Theater Lighting Control
Post by: bmoney on June 13, 2022, 09:49:36 AM
i wish there was a plugin on EMBY that everytime i start the movie the proper scene is run.  I like it alot cause when i hit movie stopped the theater lights come on to 40% and the hallway lights also come on.  so we aren't going out into the dark :)

also nice when the kids leave the lights on downstairs and i dont have to trek down there to turn them off haha
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal