AVS Discussions

Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: Barry on April 29, 2022, 03:49:39 PM

Title: Everything Old is Blu-Ray Again
Post by: Barry on April 29, 2022, 03:49:39 PM
I had attempted something earlier that was less than successful. I posted about an older movie (Nobody’s Fool) that I think many people missed. It was a damn good movie with Paul Newman and Bruce Willis.
 
I wanted to occasionally post about somewhat older movies, and collections, that have been out there a while.  For example, I would write about what makes the NEW Star Trek discs different and better that before.
 
Or write about the trilogy of Koyaanisqatsi: Life Out of Balance: how it looks and sounds on Blu Ray and why it may be something you’d should watch.
 
There is the Black and White, Blu Ray of the Twilight Zone, which features the Pilot episode, a hour long episode that most people have not seen. It stars William Bendix. . It is not narrated by Rod Serling.  So do you know who hosted the Pilot episode?
 
But I would like discussions on movies I liked and think you might. This would include the Criterion Collections of “Midnight Cowboy,” All That Jazz, “ “A Hard Days Night, “The Great Dictator,”  “Fantastic Planet,” “The Blob,” “paths of Glory” and the Golden Age of Television. Even a documentary, such as the new 4K “For All Mankind.”
 
And I would LOVE suggestions of your favorites that might not be the most recent.  IS this doable, or should I forget about it?



Finally, the Twilight Zone was a Desilu production. So on the Desilu Star Theatre Desi Arnez was the announcer of the first Twilight Zone! And Lucy appears with him at the end!

Title: Re: Everything Old is Blu-Ray Again
Post by: AVSCraig on April 29, 2022, 05:42:08 PM
I had attempted something earlier that was less than successful. I posted about an older movie (Nobody’s Fool) that I think many people missed. It was a damn good movie with Paul Newman and Bruce Willis.
 
I wanted to occasionally post about somewhat older movies, and collections, that have been out there a while.  For example, I would write about what makes the NEW Star Trek discs different and better that before.
 
Or write about the trilogy of Koyaanisqatsi: Life Out of Balance: how it looks and sounds on Blu Ray and why it may be something you’d should watch.
 
There is the Black and White, Blu Ray of the Twilight Zone, which features the Pilot episode, a hour long episode that most people have not seen. It stars William Bendix. . It is not narrated by Rod Serling.  So do you know who hosted the Pilot episode?
 
But I would like discussions on movies I liked and think you might. This would include the Criterion Collections of “Midnight Cowboy,” All That Jazz, “ “A Hard Days Night, “The Great Dictator,”  “Fantastic Planet,” “The Blob,” “paths of Glory” and the Golden Age of Television. Even a documentary, such as the new 4K “For All Mankind.”
 
And I would LOVE suggestions of your favorites that might not be the most recent.  IS this doable, or should I forget about it?



Finally, the Twilight Zone was a Desilu production. So on the Desilu Star Theatre Desi Arnez was the announcer of the first Twilight Zone! And Lucy appears with him at the end!
" I posted about an older movie (Nobody’s Fool) that I think many people missed. It was a damn good movie with Paul Newman and Bruce Willis. " - I don't think I've ever seen that film.

 I had a week of classic movies this week that my guests loved. Tuesday we watched " My Little Chickadee ", which is a fun classic. Tuesday I had a theater full of guests to watch " Gentlemen Prefer Blondes " - which looks and sounds great on the Blu-ray I have. Last night I had another crowd to watch a classic film I had never seen, and I recently got the Blu-ray of - " National Velvet ". Everyone loved that too - Elizabeth Taylor was already showing her acting abilities at 12 years old.

I have an old favorite coming on disc this week - " Sergeant York " , and one I've never seen - " Gold Diggers of 1933 ". 
Title: Re: Everything Old is Blu-Ray Again
Post by: David Vaughn on April 29, 2022, 07:48:50 PM
I'm starting to watch some older movies as well. 
Title: Re: Everything Old is Blu-Ray Again
Post by: tripplej on April 29, 2022, 09:57:43 PM
Old is Gold!
Title: Re: Everything Old is Blu-Ray Again
Post by: SRW1000 on April 29, 2022, 10:05:07 PM
Good idea for a thread, considering the state of modern entertainment, at least partially due to the consequences of the pandemic.

Was watching a YouTube live stream a few weeks ago, and they were discussing Terry Gilliam's Brazil, and how it may be more relevant today than ever, so the wife and I watched it two weekends ago.

I loved the movie when it first came out, and for me, it still holds up. My wife wasn't a fan, but after watching it again has started to come around. 

I remember watching the movie with friends a long time ago, and arguing whether or not the movie had a happy ending. 

[spoiler]They argued that it didn't, and walked away depressed.  I took the opposite approach, and looked at it this way:  Sam was in a classic no-win situation.  Not only didn't he ever fit in with society, but he also didn't have the fortitude or aptitude to make any outward change.  There was no escaping his predicament.  Or was there?  By completely retreating inward, he won in the only way possible, finally escaping to the dream life that he longed for. 

Sure, not a classic happy ending, but it was the best possible outcome for him.[/spoiler]

Anyway, it's an interesting and entertaining movie filled with little moments that reward repeat viewings.

Scott

P.S. Spoiler tags don't seem to work, so I changed the font color to white, so you'd have to select the text to read it.  Is there a better way to handle spoilers?
Title: Re: Everything Old is Blu-Ray Again
Post by: bmoney on April 30, 2022, 06:06:34 AM
I’m an old soul. So this is right up my alley
Title: Re: Everything Old is Blu-Ray Again
Post by: AVSCraig on April 30, 2022, 11:27:52 AM
One reason having a home theater breathes new life into older classic films is that when I saw most of these movies ( that I have seen ) as a kid, it was on TV, chopped to hell, with a hundred commercial interruptions, that killed the flow of the movie. Watching 2001 on the 4K Blu-ray in my theater not long ago with friends made it seem like a different, faster paced movie - because commercials totally killed the pace and dramatic tension of the film. 
Title: Re: Everything Old is Blu-Ray Again
Post by: AVSCraig on April 30, 2022, 11:35:50 AM
Two classics I watched with friends over Easter weekend - and started at 5:30pm each night with pizza due to their length, were Cleopatra - which I had never seen, and The Ten Commandments on 4K Blu-ray, which I have seen over the years, but never looking nearly as good. Having read Julius Ceasar's " Gallic War " and " Civil War " not long ago, it was way fun watching Cleopatra. Looks damn good on the current 2 Blu-ray set. The Ten Commandments has never looked better.  
Title: Re: Everything Old is Blu-Ray Again
Post by: AVSCraig on April 30, 2022, 12:36:54 PM
I'm just as excited for classics coming out remastered in 4K this year as some of the new movies coming. Looks like the following are coming to 4K -
Heat
Amadeus 
Patton
A Fistful of Dollars ( already pre-ordered )
A For A Few Dollars More ( already pre-ordered )
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
To Catch a Thief
The Untouchables ( already pre-ordered )
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Avatar
Tombstone
Giant
Edge of Tomorrow
The Lost Boys
Casablanca
Gravity
I'd also expect Ben-Hur in 4K soon. 
Title: Re: Everything Old is Blu-Ray Again
Post by: bmoney on April 30, 2022, 09:38:35 PM
That’s an insanely good list
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal