AVS Discussions

General => Home Theater Misc. => Topic started by: AVSJeff on April 06, 2022, 12:46:36 PM

Title: Home Theater/Media Room Subwoofer Placement
Post by: AVSJeff on April 06, 2022, 12:46:36 PM
I'm curious...... how many of you enthusiasts out there do research on room acoustics before placing your subwoofers (and other speakers) in the listening area? Do any of you analyze where the 'standing waves' occur based on the room dimensions? I'm specifically not talking about room eq, but where the nulls occur.
Title: Re: Home Theater/Media Room Subwoofer Placement
Post by: David Vaughn on April 06, 2022, 01:02:12 PM
I'm curious...... how many of you enthusiasts out there do research on room acoustics before placing your subwoofers (and other speakers) in the listening area? Do any of you analyze where the 'standing waves' occur based on the room dimensions? I'm specifically not talking about room eq, but where the nulls occur.
If I had a dedicated room, this is the process I would take (I have read up on room acoustics). In my multipurpose room, I've done my best and know the "no no" spots to place a subwoofer based upon REW readings, but the very best spot in the room for a sub is off limits because it's right in the middle of a walkway. Needless to say, I lost the argument to place the sub there..."But honey, look at this frequency response...see how flat it is without any EQ applied." She didn't even respond, but I got the Jada Smith look that made Will do some crazy a$$ shit at the Oscars ;)
Title: Re: Home Theater/Media Room Subwoofer Placement
Post by: bmoney on April 06, 2022, 01:14:15 PM
yes of course...even when my HT was in my living room I chose the "best available" slot.  did the sub crawl....then picked the best possible slot..the rest was EQ

cool thing with REW is the speaker placement predictor is quite accurate.  so thats what I used for my current HT with GREAT results

good thing is the more subs you have the less important placement becomes assuming they arent co-located
Title: Re: Home Theater/Media Room Subwoofer Placement
Post by: AVSCraig on April 06, 2022, 03:36:47 PM
I'm curious...... how many of you enthusiasts out there do research on room acoustics before placing your subwoofers (and other speakers) in the listening area? Do any of you analyze where the 'standing waves' occur based on the room dimensions? I'm specifically not talking about room eq, but where the nulls occur.
Sort of, but what if the subs can only go in a couple of places regardless? I did find adding subs in all 4 quadrants pretty much evened everything out bass wise. But I was still limited where the subs could go. 
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal