AVS Discussions
General => Home Theater Misc. => Topic started by: tripplej on February 10, 2022, 06:40:14 AM
-
from abc.com (https://abc.com/shows/oscars/news/nominations/oscar-nominations-2022-list)
The Oscars 2022 (https://abc.com/shows/oscars) will air LIVE SUNDAY MARCH 27 8e/5p on ABC (https://abc.com/shows/oscars/news/oscar-news/when-are-the-oscars-2022-air-date-announcement-94th-oscars-live-on-abc)
BEST PICTURE
Belfast (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja3PPOnJQ2k) (Laura Berwick, Kenneth Branagh, Becca Kovacik and Tamar Thomas, Producers)
CODA (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pmfrE1YL4I)(Philippe Rousselet, Fabrice Gianfermi and Patrick Wachsberger, Producers)
Don’t Look Up (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbIxYm3mKzI) (Adam McKay and Kevin Messick, Producers)
Drive My Car (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BPKPb_RTwI) (Teruhisa Yamamoto, Producer)
Dune (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9xhJrPXop4) (Mary Parent, Denis Villeneuve and Cale Boyter, Producers)
King Richard (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKP_0z52ZAw) (Tim White, Trevor White and Will Smith, Producers)
Licorice Pizza (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofnXPwUPENo) (Sara Murphy, Adam Somner and Paul Thomas Anderson, Producers)
Nightmare Alley (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q81Yf46Oj3s) (Guillermo del Toro, J. Miles Dale and Bradley Cooper, Producers)
The Power of the Dog (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRDPo0CHrko) (Jane Campion, Tanya Seghatchian, Emile Sherman, Iain Canning and Roger Frappier, Producers)
West Side Story (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5GJLwWiYSg)(Steven Spielberg and Kristie Macosko Krieger, Producers)
-
I watched the first 2/3 of power of the dog last night. Which garnered 12 nominations. Well other than GORGEOUS cinematography it’s a snooze fest. Hoping it’s just a slow burn and there is a payoff lol
I try to watch all the nominees for best picture. Kind of a tradition I have
I’m up to 3.75 lol
-
I have only seen "Dune" which was excellent.. I will also have to catch up..
-
I watched the first 2/3 of power of the dog last night. Which garnered 12 nominations. Well other than GORGEOUS cinematography it’s a snooze fest. Hoping it’s just a slow burn and there is a payoff lol
I try to watch all the nominees for best picture. Kind of a tradition I have
I’m up to 3.75 lol
I've seen Dune!
-
I'm not as aggressive about seeing Oscar nominees but there are definitely a few on the list I want to see. Like some of you, Dune is the only one I've seen so far. I liked it a lot so it's my pick right now, lol.
-
I've seen two thus far. Frankly, there are too many films nominated. There should only be 5 to choose from IMO.
This will be the fourth year in a row of NOT watching the Oscars after watching them for over 30 years in a row. If I wanted to hear what left-wing celebrities have to say I'd just watch MSNBC. I'll read about the winners the next day.
-
I forgot about king Richard so I’m up to 4
Finished power of the dog. Very meh film
My list
Dune
Power of the dog
Don’t look up
King Richard
-
I've seen two thus far. Frankly, there are too many films nominated. There should only be 5 to choose from IMO.
David, when I was young and innocent I thought the Awards were to reward quality. They are not. They are used to promote movie going and movie sales. That why there are ten. Now ten movies can have ads saying "Nominated for an Academy Award." I haven't watched them in years, but if a Billy Crystal or Whoopi was hosting, and they can be funny, I'd watch just the beginning.
-
i used to watch them religiously from start to finish, thena few years ago I was on a cruise during them. and just stopped lol
easier to read the results the next morning. I liked watching the stars come in....and some of the reactions. also most hosts were hilarious.
but not watching them i dont feel like i am missing anything. so theres that
-
I also was like Barry.. Thought it was more for the "talent" but really it is more about the "spin" that they want to project to society.. I also will just catch the highlights later once they present all the winners.
-
I've never been very interested in watching award shows. Mostly they just bore the crap out of me. Then for music especially, my tastes run outside the pop/mainstream so the Grammys are especially cringeworthy for me.
I wondered why it seemed like the # of movies nominated seemed higher than I recalled, Barry's explanation makes sense but I suspect there's also an angle to include a more diverse group of filmmakers. I'm not really averse to that, to be clear - like music there have always been some great works outside the "mainstream" and it just keeps growing with the democratizing tech that exists now for making movies.
-
Overall, all of the various award shows have been declining over the years.
from thewrap (https://www.thewrap.com/coronavirus-awards-show-season-ratings-2021-oscars-globes-grammys-emmys/)
(https://i.imgur.com/F9pY1Ha.png)
-
This was the best monologue in the past 50 years, if not ever, at the 2020 Peoples Choice Awards. Worth the time invested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCNdTLHZAeo
-
Well thanks to the Oscar nominations. Just watched an absolutely outstanding movie I had never heard of
CODA. Wow just a great film. Highly highly recommended
And this is the SOLE reason I try to watch Oscar nominated movies. While
Lost a are junky artsy crap some shine super bright.
Loved it
-
I’ve seen all but drive my car and licorice pizza
My favorite by far is CODA