AVS Discussions
Home Theater Setups => Finished => Topic started by: TheWookieIsFurious on February 05, 2022, 05:15:09 PM
-
The latest video showcasing my mindset on what I originally wanted to do with my home theater plans vs what I had to do to honor the film-makers vision using triple black velvet!
https://youtu.be/EuwofS6bfF8 (https://youtu.be/EuwofS6bfF8)
-
Very cool project and a super nice-looking home theater. I learned years ago that all black isn't black and the same goes for white paint.
I have a fair amount of light spill on my ceiling and was considering painting it black. I don't think I can do panels as I have a grid ceiling made on 2'x2' panels. I suppose I'll paint both the panels and grid at some point.
As for paint, David Vaughn painted his ceiling black and is in the industry. I'll have to look back at his suggestion unless he sees this and comments.
-
Very nice.
Question - I would think velvet fabric covered panels would have a different acoustic signature than painted walls. Did you find that to be an issue?
-
Very nice.
Question - I would think velvet fabric covered panels would have a different acoustic signature than painted walls. Did you find that to be an issue?
I'm sure there is a difference with the panels but I haven't felt it to be negative.
-
Let me tell you how I blackened my media room, as seen here.
1. I did paint the room black.
2. I took cardboard from boxes and placed them in the windows. I then used black tape around their perimeter.
3. I then go good looking, but relatively inexpensive black curtains
I actually did this temporarily util I got either a more expensive solution or a more technical one. But it works perfectly and was very affordable.
The second picture is very old and does not have more recent equipment or layout, but shows the window.
-
Very nice.
Question - I would think velvet fabric covered panels would have a different acoustic signature than painted walls. Did you find that to be an issue?
💯 will be a difference. It will attenuate to some degree the reflection of sound. Now how much is the question. You would need to measure but I would assume no enough to make a discernible difference. Not like adding carpet etc. but anything on the walls that isn’t a hard surface will cut down on the clap effect