AVS Discussions
Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: David Vaughn on November 17, 2021, 10:08:43 PM
-
Studio: Lions Gate
Release Date: November 23, 2021
Rating: R
Film: 4.5/5
Plot
After having failed to kill Sarah Conner the first time, Skynet sends a new and improved Terminator back through time to take out her son, John Conner, future leader of the resistance. Fortunately, the future Conner gains access to the time machine and sends back a familiar face to protect his younger self from the menacing killer.
My Thoughts
This is the second release of T2 on UHD Blu-ray and sadly, the studio didn’t go back to the drawing board with a new master. Sadly, this Steelbook release is a rehash of the disastrous UHD release from 4 years ago. The DNR knob is turned to max and unfortunately, the UHD pales in comparison to the “Skynet” box set released on Blu-ray. The color timing is improved a bit on this release, which I have no objection to, but there’s absolutely no film grain and facial pores are non-existent and flesh tones are smeared and lack any real detail at all. Sure, this is a 4K release and it looks a bit sharper than the Blu-ray, but it should look a hell of a lot better than it does.
Video 5/10
Audio 9/10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)
Special Features:
- “T2: Reprogramming the Terminator” 55 Minute Documentary Including Exclusive Interview with Arnold Schwarzenegger, James Cameron, Edward Furlong and More
- 2 Feature Commentaries including 23 members of the cast and crew, including director James Cameron and co-author William Wisher
- “The Making of T2” 30 Minute Featurette
- Seamless Branching to View 3 Different Versions of the Movie
- 2 Deleted Scenes with Audio Commentary
- Trailers
- Blu-ray + UV Digital Copy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRRlbK5w8AE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwSysg9o7wE)
Conclusion
When I saw this was being rereleased in a steelbook package (Best Buy Exclusive), I had hopes that the studio would go back and redo the disaster from four years ago. Sadly, that isn’t the case and despite the outstanding packaging it’s the same garbage on the inside. Here’s hoping that the studio will put the effort into this title that it deserves and someday I can replace the discs in the Steelbook with a presentation more befitting this classic film.
Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
-
I was excited at the announcement and pre-ordered it. An hour later I learned from the Blu Ray forum thread that it was not remastered and immediately canceled.
Word is that the 3D remaster was used for the 4K. Excessive smoothing seems to be something that is OK for 3D, but looks bad in 4K.
-
I was excited at the announcement and pre-ordered it. An hour later I learned from the Blu Ray forum thread that it was not remastered and immediately canceled.
Word is that the 3D remaster was used for the 4K. Excessive smoothing seems to be something that is OK for 3D, but looks bad in 4K.
I was on the same page as you Claw. I was really hoping for a new transfer and was bummed that it was a retread. Maybe next time it's released (for the 813th time) it will get the treatment it deserves.
-
Ugh. The smoothing is the worst out there. Why why why
-
So disappointing. Great movie and really jump started a franchise.
-
It is such a great movie. I agree
-
Greetings,
I didn't bother requesting it for review. I reviewed and own the prior UHD release.
Regards,
-
Greetings,
I didn't both requesting it for review. I reviewed and own the prior UHD release.
Regards,
Me too Ralph, but I really wanted the Steelbook package, which is pretty cool.