AVS Discussions
Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: David Vaughn on October 15, 2021, 05:56:37 PM
-
(https://i.imgur.com/TVoukYN.jpg)
Studio: Lionsgate
Release Date: October 5, 2021
Rating: Unrated
Film: 3/5
Plot
Patrick Bateman (Christian Bale) is a Wall Street yuppie, obsessed with success, status, and style, with a stunning fiancée (Reese Witherspoon). He is also a psychotic killer who rapes, murders, and dismembers both strangers and acquaintances without provocation or purpose. Based on the controversial novel, the film offers a sharp satire to the dark side of yuppie culture in the ‘80s, while setting forth a vision that is both terrifying and chilling.
My Thoughts
For starters, this isn’t my genre of movie. I requested it for one reason—Christian Bale, who is phenomenal as the main character. The movie itself is just, well, weird. The narrative is from the perspective of Bateman’s character and you see the world how he sees it, which is extremely twisted and violent. I sat through the film in shock at what I was watching, but the third act helps things come into further focus. I will say this, it’s a movie that will stick with you and have you wondering what was “real” and what was part of his vivid and twisted brain, but if you don’t have a strong stomach for violence, stay away.
Video 9/10
Audio 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)
Special Features:
- Deleted Scenes with Optional Director Commentary
- American Psycho: From Book To Screen (4K Only)
- The ‘80s Downtown
- Audio Commentary with Director Mary Harron (Recorded in 2018 – 4K Only)
- Audio Commentary with Writer Guinevere Turner
- Steelbook packaging
- UHD + Blu-ray + Digital Copy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YnGhW4UEhc (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YnGhW4UEhc)
Conclusion
I’m probably not the best judge of a movie of this genre, but I have to say I was never bored—disgusted? Absolutely. Bateman is one twisted individual and seeing the world through his eyes will take you to a dark place that I’m not sure you want to visit. The best part of the film is Bale’s performance, which is outstanding. Furthermore, the presentation is quite good in 4K and the Steelbook (Best Buy exclusive) packaging is something fans may want to own.
Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
-
Love this movie. I've watched it several times. It's part of my " mental illness awareness month " film festival! It's a great double feature with " Fight Club " ! I give it 4 / 5.
-
Love this movie. I've watched it several times. It's part of my " mental illness awareness month " film festival! It's a great double feature with " Fight Club " ! I give it 4 / 5.
The violence and gore lowered my score. Bale is awesome but damn is it disturbing to watch! Maybe once every 5-10 years for me, if that.
-
Great movie. But just another money grab of a re release of the 4k
-
Great movie. But just another money grab of a re release of the 4k
If you're a Steelbook collector, it's worth it (the case is pretty cool). If you just like the movie and already have the 4K, it's a much harder sell.