AVS Discussions

Movie and TV Discussion => New Movies => Topic started by: Barry on October 13, 2021, 03:44:10 PM

Title: Which is better: Imax or Dolby Theatre for No Time to Die
Post by: Barry on October 13, 2021, 03:44:10 PM
    I went to see “No Time to Die” at two separate , but fairly new theatres this week. One was a Dolby Theater, the other an Imax.  So which was better, who was the winner?

The winner:  Was ME!  The theatres were different, but I loved them both.  But which more?

First, to me, since 1990 on my Laserdisc player I have felt there were two different perspectives on surround sound: What I call the “James Bond” type of surround and then the George Lucas.

The “James Bond” perspective knows that you are a spectator and not a participate. So the sound is more in front, with an greater emphasis to left and right than front and back. If a character gets into an airplane or rocket, the sound does not really surround you, but is more up front.

The “George Lucas” perspective puts you in the middle of the sound, as if you were a participant. The sound emphasizes front and back more.  If a character gets into an airplane or rocket, you hear the sound all around you as if you were in the craft.

The movie screen: The Dolby Theatre emphasizes the sharpness of the picture and the great contrast. Blacks look blacker, whites whiter.  The Imax theatre emphasizes the size.  The screen was 1/3 larger than the Dolby.
The winner:  The Imax.  Both were great pictures, but I really liked the much wider screen. More.

The audio:  The Dolby theatre gave more of the “George Lucas” surround. You were in the middle of it.
The Imax Theatre: was more of the traditional James Bond sound, you were surrounded but more was in front and left to right.

The winner: I am surprised to write this because I thought the Dolby would win. But I like the Imax better. The sounds were more distinct in both their clarity and their placement.

While Imax wins, it is by a really small margin.  I loved both theatres but the Dolby had reclining seats. What is important, however, is both groups of friends, and myself, found it hard to understand the dialogue at times.


Title: Re: Which is better: Imax or Dolby Theatre for No Time to Die
Post by: tripplej on October 13, 2021, 04:20:55 PM
Thanks Barry for your review. Also, note, The price difference!
Title: Re: Which is better: Imax or Dolby Theatre for No Time to Die
Post by: Barry on October 13, 2021, 04:59:36 PM
The Imax was $5 more than the Dolby theater
Title: Re: Which is better: Imax or Dolby Theatre for No Time to Die
Post by: tripplej on November 28, 2021, 12:00:09 AM
Saw the movie in Imax.. Great movie. Well worth watching in the theater.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal