AVS Discussions

Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: David Vaughn on September 12, 2021, 10:19:00 PM

Title: Black Widow (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on September 12, 2021, 10:19:00 PM
(https://i.imgur.com/M8SorLq.jpg)

Studio: Disney / Marvel
Release Date: September 14, 2021
Rating: PG-13
Film: 3.5/5
 
Plot
In Marvel Studios’ action-packed spy thriller Black Widow, Natasha Romanoff – aka Black Widow – confronts the darker parts of her ledger when a dangerous conspiracy with ties to her past arises. Pursued by a force that will stop at nothing to bring her down, Natasha must deal with her history as a spy and the broken relationships left in her wake long before she became an Avenger.
 
My Thoughts
This is the first movie that I’d seen in the theaters since the beginning of the pandemic even though I could have paid to watch it at home in my own theater via Disney+. I chose the theater route in order to support my local theater and frankly, their popcorn is better than the microwave crap we buy at the grocery store.
 
As a film, I’d place this in the lower tier of Marvel titles. While it’s perfectly enjoyable, it doesn’t really have that “wow” factor that the best of the Marvel films have to offer. For starters, we all know Romanoff isn’t going to die since this film takes place before the climactic battle with Thanos. Second, the story isn’t that captivating and awe-inspiring. Don’t get me wrong, I love seeing Scarlett Johansson in black tights as much as the next guy, but the supporting characters aren’t really fleshed out as well as they could be—especially Romanoff’s adoptive parents.
 
I compared the UHD to the Blu-ray and the UHD is the better experience. Shadows have more depth and impact and the use of HDR effects add something to the presentation. Detail is off the charts which is to be expected since the film was shot digitally at resolutions ranging from 4K all the way up to 8K. In fact, I found the image to be sharper on my home projector versus what I watched in theaters. The audio is presented in Dolby Atmos, but I wouldn’t say the overhead effects made the movie more enjoyable. I can’t recall any specific discrete effects that had me go “WOW,” and I felt the bass response could have been improved.
 
 
Video 9.5/10
 
Audio 9/10 (Dolby Atmos)
 
Special Features:
 
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybji16u608U (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybji16u608U)
 
 
Conclusion
While not a bad film, per se, this isn’t the best that the Marvel Universe has to offer. Probably the biggest impact this film will have is the lawsuit between Johansson and the studio over how streaming revenue will be calculated into the payouts for the actors and producers. Maybe in time I’ll enjoy this film more but seeing it twice over a span of about 60 days was a bit too much. Recommended for fans.  
 
 
Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner


Title: Re: Black Widow (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: Barry on September 12, 2021, 10:49:29 PM
David, once again our reviews are very close. I did review it and listed on here when it first came out and we said very much the same things, including going back to the movie theatre!

Scarlett Johansson has complained that she does not feel that the movie did well because of the way Disney released it. This was an avengers movie without any avengers or superheroes. I think you didn’t do better because it was not a better movie and had a predetermined ending.

I suspect Disney released it the way it did because they knew this movie did not compare to most of the others.

See my review on this site at: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=2940.0

David, It’s great that I post About the movies when they are released in theatres and then you follow up with your reviews when they are released on disc, usually a couple of months later. Seriously though I am concerned about the fate of movie theatres when so many movies are released so quickly to stream and then to disk.
Title: Re: Black Widow (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on September 13, 2021, 12:17:54 AM
David, once again our reviews are very close. I did review it and listed on here when it first came out and we said very much the same things, including going back to the movie theatre!

Scarlett Johansson has complained that she does not feel that the movie did well because of the way Disney released it. This was an avengers movie without any avengers or superheroes. I think you didn’t do better because it was not a better movie and had a predetermined ending.

I suspect Disney released it the way it did because they knew this movie did not compare to most of the others.

See my review on this site at: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=2940.0

David, It’s great that I post About the movies when they are released in theatres and then you follow up with your reviews when they are released on disc, usually a couple of months later. Seriously though I am concerned about the fate of movie theatres when so many movies are released so quickly to stream and then to disk.
Barry,

Outside of only a few movies (one distinctly comes to mind),we have very similar tastes. I'll try and link your reviews when I review a title. We can be our own version of Siskel and Ebert. :)

In regard to the movie theaters...I completely agree. I'm not sure how they're going to make it, although The Ten Rings has done quite well. 
Title: Re: Black Widow (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: bmoney on September 13, 2021, 08:29:12 AM
i liked it.  but im easy to please.  the story was kind of all over the place but its a superhero movie.  
Title: Re: Black Widow (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: Barry on September 13, 2021, 12:04:54 PM
Barry,

Outside of only a few movies (one distinctly comes to mind),we have very similar tastes. I'll try and link your reviews when I review a title. We can be our own version of Siskel and Ebert. :)

In regard to the movie theaters...I completely agree. I'm not sure how they're going to make it, although The Ten Rings has done quite well.
That would be great! I’m concerned that the 10 Rings Will only do well for a couple of weeks, rather than a month or two. As Indianna Jones might have said, this belongs in the movie theatre!
Title: Re: Black Widow (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: Ralph P. on September 13, 2021, 12:12:47 PM
Greetings,

Nice job Dave. I more or less agree although, I have no problem with the quality of the bass track once the volume level was adjusted a few clicks higher.

Regards,
Title: Re: Black Widow (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: AVSCraig on September 13, 2021, 12:33:58 PM
David, once again our reviews are very close. I did review it and listed on here when it first came out and we said very much the same things, including going back to the movie theatre!

Scarlett Johansson has complained that she does not feel that the movie did well because of the way Disney released it. This was an avengers movie without any avengers or superheroes. I think you didn’t do better because it was not a better movie and had a predetermined ending.

I suspect Disney released it the way it did because they knew this movie did not compare to most of the others.

See my review on this site at: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=2940.0

David, It’s great that I post About the movies when they are released in theatres and then you follow up with your reviews when they are released on disc, usually a couple of months later. Seriously though I am concerned about the fate of movie theatres when so many movies are released so quickly to stream and then to disk.
Barry, if this movie takes place before End Game ( a prequel to that so to speak ), where in the Marvel movie list would this be slotted ? 
Title: Re: Black Widow (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: Ralph P. on September 13, 2021, 01:03:04 PM
Barry, if this movie takes place before End Game ( a prequel to that so to speak ), where in the Marvel movie list would this be slotted ?


Greetings,

It takes place after Captain America: Civil War. You can slide it into the slot after that. 
Title: Re: Black Widow (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: AVSCraig on September 13, 2021, 02:14:34 PM

Greetings,

It takes place after Captain America: Civil War. You can slide it into the slot after that.
Thanks Ralph. Provided I actually get it. I haven't decided. 
Title: Re: Black Widow (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: bmoney on September 14, 2021, 08:58:30 AM
watching them in order is fascinating so many small details go unnoticed if not
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal