AVS Discussions
Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: David Vaughn on June 09, 2021, 06:49:37 PM
-
(https://i.imgur.com/WZL3uZR.jpg)
Studio: Lionsgate
Release Date: June 15, 2021
Rating: PG-13
Film: 3.5/5
Plot
With the future of the human race at stake, a group of young men and women, bred for intelligence and obedience, embark on an expedition to colonize a distant planet. But when they uncover disturbing secrets about the mission, they defy their training and begin to explore their most primitive natures. As life on the ship descends into chaos, they’re consumed by fear, lust, and the insatiable hunger for power.
My Thoughts
New releases are still somewhat hard to come by so when this hit my inbox, I figured I’d give it a spin given the sci-fi story and young cast. It starts out a bit slow as the premise is set in motion, things pick up in the second act as the young explorers take off from Earth and head towards what will end up being their descendants new home 86 years away.
If you’ve ever read “The Lord of the Flies,” you’ve pretty much have seen this film set on an island instead of in space, so it doesn’t break any new ground in that regards. There is a twist in the story that gives it its own flair and while I admit I had low expectations going in, I found myself entertained and was mostly impressed with the young cast.
Video 8.5/10
Audio 8.5/10 (Dolby TrueHD 5.1)
Special Features:
- “Born for This: The Cast of Voyagers” Featurette
- “Against Type: Unlearning Human Nature” Featurette
- “Survival of the Fittest: The Physicality of Voyagers” Featurette
- “On the Surface: The Visual Style of Voyagers” Featurette
- “Hidden Chambers: Tour the Humanitas” Featurette
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwJkexUBSeg (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwJkexUBSeg)
Conclusion
If you’re starved for new entertainment and are looking for some 4K viewing material, you could do a lot worse that this. While it doesn’t break any new ground, it holds its own and kept me interested in the story and the characters throughout the 108 minutes. Recommended.
Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
-
Thanks David. I'll have to give this a shot. Watched " Chaos Walking " last night, which my guests and I liked.
-
Thanks David. I'll have to give this a shot. Watched " Chaos Walking " last night, which my guests and I liked.
I didn't get a solicitation for that one, so I didn't review it. My next movies are Godzilla vs. Kong, the Indiana Jones films and Resurrection.
It have been feast or famine on reviews over the past 18 months or so. No idea why ;)
-
Def will check this out. Thanks!