AVS Discussions

Home Theater Construction => Design => Topic started by: Barry on April 25, 2021, 12:40:47 PM

Title: Free at last, free at last
Post by: Barry on April 25, 2021, 12:40:47 PM
       It’s up and running.
I waited a year for this:
I upgraded my system throughout the year and finally have it all together. Honestly, my “major” dealer, my Overture Audio made it all doable. They get the highest marks you can give.

For quite a while I had wanted to upgrade to 4K video and Atmos and new Dolby sounds. In quarantine, since February 2020, I began to build system. My long time local audio stores have long since closed.  But I had been buying from Overture since 1995 and they have always been helpful.

But Overture is not local to me and I wanted them to make just one trip, so I kept adding to order. Also, rather ten getting an entirely new Salamander to fit everything in, they were able to work with the company and just add an additional shelf.

So at one time I had delivered and set up just last week:
Controller                            McIntosh MX170
Amplifier (lt/rt)                    McIntosh MC1.25KW
Amplifier (center)                 McIntosh MC-611
Amplifier (5 channel)            Krell S-1500 (updated)
CD/SACD Player                  Esoteric K-01XD
SoundPlanks.
Stylus (for Turntable)            Ortofon 2M Black
Salamander Cabinet and amp stands
Streaming Audio                  Aurender N100H
 
Earlier, in the past year I had these installed:
     
Speakers Rear & Back          Revel W 990
      Atmos Ceiling (2)            Revel C763L
4K Video Projector               JVC DLA-RS3000
4K Disc Player                      Panasonic UB9000
 
I have had these for quite a while”
Speakers                              Revel Ultima Salon 2
      Center Channel              Revel Ultima Voice 2
Sub-Woofer                          SVS SB-13 Ultras
Turntable                             VPI 19 Mark 4
SIRIUSXM/Pandora              Sonos
FM Tuner                             Day Sequerra FM Reference
 
First visit: Well, not everything works out well in the beginning.  The crew took almost ten hours to install everything.  However, while the audio components worked well, I discovered the next morning the video didn’t.  The 4k player and Amazon  only played at 2k, not 4k. And the system would not play the Verizon cable or Apple TV.  We worked unsuccessfully for hours.
 
Second Visit: Here is where experience pays off. The tech worked on it for some time and then called McIntosh.  They sent him a download, apparently the McIntosh 170 had some trouble connecting to the JVC. He then called JVC and they sent him a special download. We also changed the HDMI wires from ones made in China to one made here.
 
Everything works. And it is terrific.  I am overwhelmed and overjoyed. We saw, this weekend, Avengers Endgame and Fellowship of the Ring on a big screen and Atmos sound.  With normal surround sound, you are surround by sound. With Atmos you are immersed in it.  It was fantastic and yet exhausting. Picture and sound ae just incredible.  We even enjoyed a Yankee game last night.
 
The McIntosh 170 controller takes a while to learn to use, but then is logical and easy. Sadly the remote is a Universal McIntosh one, with buttons for CD players, FM Tuners and such and is not handy. However, the program on my IPad is so easy to use, I use it instead of the remote.
 
Two channel sound is just great from the McIntosh and from the Esoteric SACD player.  The big surprise for us is how well the Sonos sounds when using the DAC for the Esoteric. The record player sound great too, but not as good as a SACD disc. We haven’t had a chance to really use the Aurender.
 
Oh, and I bought a new recliner!!!!!  Delivered on Saturday.
 
 


Title: Re: Free at last, free at last
Post by: Barry on April 25, 2021, 12:42:02 PM
       I just mentioned the wonderful service and help I got from Overture. Let me just get this off my chest, if you don’t mind, the disappointing service I got from a local dealer who I will call Audio OY VEY. I went to them because they were close and I knew I would need someone coming out to the house a few times to set all this up.
 
Oy vey came to my house and didn’t like anything and wanted me to replace everything. For example, he did not like that I had the JVC 3000 projector and told me that the DLA-NX9 was better and more professionally made. These are basically the same projectors and they use the same parts, they are just sold by different departments of JVC. He didn’t like my in-wall (rear) Revel and wanted me to replace them with on wall speakers. He didn’t like my wiring although he sold the same brand (Transparent) and wanted me to change them.
 
When he gave me his estimate for the equipment, I asked for he had added $15,000 for equipment I didn’t ask for. In addition to the wires and speakers he wanted me to buy from him $1000 remote. But he wanted to rewire my entire surround and back speaker system for many thousands of dollars, both in wiring costs and in labor.
 
When I called to speak to him about this and to omit the items I didn’t want he refused to talk about anything else but the items I didn’t want and hadn’t returned a phone call since.


Title: Re: Free at last, free at last
Post by: David Vaughn on April 25, 2021, 01:14:41 PM
Barry,

I'm so glad everything worked out for you. Your system looks fantastic and I bet it sound great too. I'd never step foot in Oy Vey's shop ever again :)
Title: Re: Free at last, free at last
Post by: TRainH2O on April 25, 2021, 08:19:43 PM
Great news, Barry. I know you've been waiting for the new gear for quite some time.

Now as before, you have a truly lust-worthy system.
Title: Re: Free at last, free at last
Post by: Barry on April 25, 2021, 09:01:08 PM
You and David were very helpful.
Title: Re: Free at last, free at last
Post by: AVSCraig on April 26, 2021, 10:44:31 AM
      I just mentioned the wonderful service and help I got from Overture. Let me just get this off my chest, if you don’t mind, the disappointing service I got from a local dealer who I will call Audio OY VEY. I went to them because they were close and I knew I would need someone coming out to the house a few times to set all this up.
 
Oy vey came to my house and didn’t like anything and wanted me to replace everything. For example, he did not like that I had the JVC 3000 projector and told me that the DLA-NX9 was better and more professionally made. These are basically the same projectors and they use the same parts, they are just sold by different departments of JVC. He didn’t like my in-wall (rear) Revel and wanted me to replace them with on wall speakers. He didn’t like my wiring although he sold the same brand (Transparent) and wanted me to change them.
 
When he gave me his estimate for the equipment, I asked for he had added $15,000 for equipment I didn’t ask for. In addition to the wires and speakers he wanted me to buy from him $1000 remote. But he wanted to rewire my entire surround and back speaker system for many thousands of dollars, both in wiring costs and in labor.
 
When I called to speak to him about this and to omit the items I didn’t want he refused to talk about anything else but the items I didn’t want and hadn’t returned a phone call since.
This guy sounds like a scam artist. That's ridiculous. 
Title: Re: Free at last, free at last
Post by: AVSMike on April 26, 2021, 04:40:55 PM
      I just mentioned the wonderful service and help I got from Overture. Let me just get this off my chest, if you don’t mind, the disappointing service I got from a local dealer who I will call Audio OY VEY. I went to them because they were close and I knew I would need someone coming out to the house a few times to set all this up.
 
Oy vey came to my house and didn’t like anything and wanted me to replace everything. For example, he did not like that I had the JVC 3000 projector and told me that the DLA-NX9 was better and more professionally made. These are basically the same projectors and they use the same parts, they are just sold by different departments of JVC. He didn’t like my in-wall (rear) Revel and wanted me to replace them with on wall speakers. He didn’t like my wiring although he sold the same brand (Transparent) and wanted me to change them.
 
When he gave me his estimate for the equipment, I asked for he had added $15,000 for equipment I didn’t ask for. In addition to the wires and speakers he wanted me to buy from him $1000 remote. But he wanted to rewire my entire surround and back speaker system for many thousands of dollars, both in wiring costs and in labor.
 
When I called to speak to him about this and to omit the items I didn’t want he refused to talk about anything else but the items I didn’t want and hadn’t returned a phone call since.
Sounds like a crook to me, trying to take advantage of you. Anybody that is a dealer for JVC knows the NX9 and the RS3000 are the same projector and roll off of the same assembly line. The NX is the consumer side and the RS is the pro side.
Title: Re: Free at last, free at last
Post by: tripplej on April 27, 2021, 09:19:17 AM
Congrats Barry and enjoy the new setup! :)
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal