AVS Discussions
Projectors => Premium Projectors => Topic started by: UnknownBeef on January 25, 2017, 12:50:40 AM
-
The RS520 will be my first projector, and I'd like to know what kind of equipment (sub $1000) and reading I should look at to get started with basic calibration (basic in the sense that I want to go beyond simple contrast/brightness adjustments).
Could anybody recommend some starting points?
Thanks so much :)
-
The RS520 will be my first projector, and I'd like to know what kind of equipment (sub $1000) and reading I should look at to get started with basic calibration (basic in the sense that I want to go beyond simple contrast/brightness adjustments).
Could anybody recommend some starting points?
Thanks so much :)
Chromapure would be one - http://www.curtpalme.com/ChromaPure_EyeOneDisplay3.shtm
They even have a " Calibration for Dummies " guide you can print out to get yourself going !
$ 597.00 is not much more than one calibration would cost !
-
If you buy a i1 Display Pro, and download HCFR for free, its pretty much plug and play, from there it only gets better with your calibration skils and experience. I dont see any use of a expensive calibration software unless you need advance autocalibrate for something like a Lumagen or alike.
https://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-i1Display-Pro-Display-Calibration/dp/B0055MBQOW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485369682&sr=8-1&keywords=xrite+i1
https://sourceforge.net/projects/hcfr/
-
I had also been looking at http://calman.spectracal.com/store/p60/CalMAN_Enthusiast_with_SpectraCal_C6-HDR.html (http://calman.spectracal.com/store/p60/CalMAN_Enthusiast_with_SpectraCal_C6-HDR.html) but was unsure of how "novice friendly" it is.
-
I had also been looking at http://calman.spectracal.com/store/p60/CalMAN_Enthusiast_with_SpectraCal_C6-HDR.html (http://calman.spectracal.com/store/p60/CalMAN_Enthusiast_with_SpectraCal_C6-HDR.html) but was unsure of how "novice friendly" it is.
It is a very good option, but keep in mind you need a spectroradiometer to train the colorimeter to get as accurate results as possible.
-
I've ordered a new light meter - a Sper Light Meter Lux/FC - 840020, with a Certificate of Calibration Traceable to N.I.S.T.
I've had my AEMC CA813 for quite a few years. I was going to send it in for re - calibration, but I'll compare it to the new one first. The Sper wasn't too expensive on Amazon. Re - calibrating the CA813 was $ 75.00 with no Certificate. I figure that with a Certificate of Calibration Traceable to N.I.S.T., at least it should be accurate out of the box !!
http://www.sperdirect.com/light-meter-lux-fc-296-prd1.htm#rev_tab
-
It is a very good option, but keep in mind you need a spectroradiometer to train the colorimeter to get as accurate results as possible.
This is true BUT, if someone didn't have the budget and was only going to buy a single meter I would suggest the C6 before the i1. Mainly because the C6 can store profiles and Spectracal (or Chromapure) can offer a UHD lamp based profile. A spectro is a horrible meter on its own in terms of speed and low light measurements. So if you had to buy one, the tri-stim would be the better choice IMHO. But like you, I have both (CR-100 and Jeti Specbos).
-
This is true BUT, if someone didn't have the budget and was only going to buy a single meter I would suggest the C6 before the i1. Mainly because the C6 can store profiles and Spectracal (or Chromapure) can offer a UHD lamp based profile. A spectro is a horrible meter on its own in terms of speed and low light measurements. So if you had to buy one, the tri-stim would be the better choice IMHO. But like you, I have both (CR-100 and Jeti Specbos).
I agree, but I would still recommend a spectro to go with the C6 as it is very sensitive to placement and I would alwyas make a profile before calibrating with a C6 even if it was newly rercalibrated from Spectracal. And the drift of these can be quite big over a short amount of time.
-
I had also been looking at http://calman.spectracal.com/store/p60/CalMAN_Enthusiast_with_SpectraCal_C6-HDR.html (http://calman.spectracal.com/store/p60/CalMAN_Enthusiast_with_SpectraCal_C6-HDR.html) but was unsure of how "novice friendly" it is.
I have used both Chromapure and now Spectracal. I prefer spectracal now, it just feels more polished to me and you can have it go from hold my hand through every step, or let me do whatever i want, when I want. It' something you could really grow into as you gain more knowledge and experience.