AVS Discussions
General => A/V Industry News => Topic started by: HomeTheaterGuy on January 24, 2017, 11:27:58 AM
-
A survey commissioned by Snell Advanced Media (SAM) indicates that 64 percent of Americans still don’t know what 4K is.
Other findings:
- Millennials (ages 18-24) are more familiar with 4K than any other age group
- 11 per cent of US adults currently own a 4K TV, with half of those either yet to find it worthwhile or understand what it does
- Once educated on what 4K was, 41 per cent of consumers said they would like to have a 4K TV
http://bit.ly/2jYYRel
-
Why does this not surprise me at all ?
-
And 99,99% dont know how to setup or calibrate a 4K set, so they run it at factory settings with whatever awfull image that is in most cases. But they most likely think it looks amasing.
-
What's the percentage of those of us "in the know" who sometimes wish we didn't know about 4K???
-
Here's something I don't understand: If Ultra HD is 3840 x 2160 resolution, and Sony's display chip is 4096 x 2160, what happens to an Ultra HD image when it's displayed on a Sony? Is it stretched? Is there a black bar on each edge of the picture?
-
There was a survey some years back where many people thought everything they watched on their HDTV had to be HD...including the 480i stations they were getting. :) I guess it's true if you look at it as upscaling, but that was not in their minds.
-
Here's something I don't understand: If Ultra HD is 3840 x 2160 resolution, and Sony's display chip is 4096 x 2160, what happens to an Ultra HD image when it's displayed on a Sony? Is it stretched? Is there a black bar on each edge of the picture?
They just map the UHD resolution 1:1 on the 4K panel.
-
I can't say that this is surprising to me. I tried to sell a 5.1 ch Yamaha AVR to a friend (lawyer) at a near give-away price. He tried it at home and brought it back saying it was more that he needed -- just simple stereo...
When it comes to large screen, there must be a large portion of the potential market that is already into "large screen" via projection. I have no idea how many of that group think 4K is important -- or know what it is.
I'll let you guys tell me. :-X