AVS Discussions
Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: Barry on March 19, 2021, 03:11:25 PM
-
Zack Snyder’s Justice League: A NO SPOILER Review
First, to give my review some weight, let me state that my favorite Comic Book movies are the Donner editions of Superman I and II. In recent times I enjoyed Wonder Woman, Shazam and Aquaman. I have not liked Green Lantern, Man of Steel, Batman Vs. Superman and Justice League. I have enjoyed most Marvel movies except Iron Man II and III and Thor Dark World
This is a four-hour movie on HBO MAX. Bring lunch. I would give this movie 3.5 stars out of 4. Surprisingly, it begins by stating it will be presented in a 3:4 aspect ratio to preserve the director’s intention. The photography is top notch and the soundtrack, in Atmos, is exceptional. There are a couple of places, often with Wonder Woman, where the special effects do look animated.
The original Justice League was released, or rather it escaped, in 2017. PLEASE do not confuse that movie with this one. The After the death of his daughter, director Snyder left the movie and it was placed in the hands of another director. The plot and the characters are so different here. While the new version uses a great deal of the footage from the original, it is so edited and presented as to seem brand new.
On to Zack Snyder’s Justice League. This is a unique and compelling four-hour movie that is both a “Steaming mini series” and a feature length movie. As a mini-series, it is divided into seven parts. (six plus an epilogue.) It takes it’s time developing well ALL the characters, so much more than the first Justice League. Slowly, each character becomes vital and essential to the entire plot. I know it uses previously shot footage, but, honest to gosh, the actors are better here and their characters are so much more developed. As an example, in the first movie, Wonder Woman nonsensible and out of character, argues NOT to restore Superman. Not so here.
There are many surprising cameos, both of DC characters and real-life performers who you may not have expected in the movie. This movie was produced to compete with the Avengers and it does so well, in a much darker and serious way.
Of course, the plot involves saving the world, but just a few minor points. First, I am tired of overlong fight sequences when you know who will win. Also, not only does no one get hurt, or the slightest bruise, or worn out, but Batman never gets his cape caught on anything. Also, this was going to be part of a trilogy of movies so there are are some unresolved issues at a surprising long epilogue. The very end gives a long list of comic book credits, with Jack Kirby in a title by himself.
-
Thanks Barry. The original Justice League was a train wreck of a movie. I cringe whenever I see it playing on cable TV. My review disc is collecting dust. Warner is releasing this in 4K later this year and I'll wait to view it there.
-
Interesting. Thanks Barry.
-
Supposedly, Zack Snyder's wife Deborah told him not to watch the Joss Whedon version of Justice League because she knew it would "break his heart."
Glad to hear there may be a UHD disc version coming. I watched the 4 hours over two nights. Well worth it.
-
Thanks for the review. Will check it out. :)
-
I liked the whole thing except the epilogue. Seemed smashed together. And very out of place. Also reminded me of return of the king. Where it should have (could have) ended 3 or 4 times yet didn’t.
-
Greetings,
Thanks Barry. I can longer watch Justice League after seeing this. By comparison Justice League barely makes sense.
Regards,
-
I liked the whole thing except the epilogue. Seemed smashed together. And very out of place. Also reminded me of return of the king. Where it should have (could have) ended 3 or 4 times yet didn’t.
I think the epilogue was added to hint at the direction he was headed with the follow up films if he had been permitted to continue his vision. Unfortunately, something we will never get to experience.
-
Barry, as always, thanks for your no spoiler reviews. I am super behind on watching new movies so it will take me a while to get to this one.
Given your credentials, I always enjoy reading your thoughts about new Comic-based films.