AVS Discussions
Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: David Vaughn on January 24, 2021, 12:00:41 PM
-
(https://i.imgur.com/PzPGVRm.jpg)
Studio: Paramount
Release Date: January 26, 2021
Rating: R
Film: 3.5/5
Plot
To save his declining business, Chris Cringle (Mel Gibson), also known as Santa Claus, is forced into a partnership with the U.S. military. Making matters worse, Chris gets locked into a deadly battle of wits against a highly skilled assassin (Walton Goggins), hired by a precocious 12-year-old after receiving a lump of coal in his stocking. 'Tis the season for Fatman to get even, in the action-comedy that keeps on giving.
My Thoughts
I’m always a sucker for a Christmas movie and when I saw that Gibson was going to be playing Santa Claus, I just couldn’t resist. First and foremost, this is NOT a family film. It’s an extremely dark comedy that can be somewhat violent and bloody. That being said, it was an absolute hoot. I watched it with my wife and adult son and we laughed-out-loud on multiple occasions. Yes, it’s dark and twisted, but in a good way. This could easily have fallen into the “stupid” category, but everyone played it straight and you can actually feel the anguish from Claus as he needs to pivot towards a new way to operate.
Video 4.5/5
Audio 4.5/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)
Special Features:
- Audio Commentary
- Deleted and Extended Scenes
- Storyboard to Film Comparison with Director’s Commentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z64XvPERZ50 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z64XvPERZ50)
Conclusion
My only complaint I really have about this film is that it didn’t come to home video before Christmas. While dark in nature it ultimately has a good message delivered in a twisted way. Gibson is great as the dark Santa and the pacing is just about perfect. Recommended.
Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays (https://portrait.com/))
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-980
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (configured as tandem mid bass modules)
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
-
This is the last movie I'd expect a review for you on, but the fact you liked it has my interest piqued ! :D
-
This is the last movie I'd expect a review for you on, but the fact you liked it has my interest piqued ! :D
I think you'd like it Craig. I wasn't sure what to expect but found it to be entertaining, funny, and yes, very dark :)
-
Greetings,
I haven't been inspired to sit down with my copy but, will get to it this week. Thanks for the review buddy.. ;)
Regards,
-
Greetings,
I haven't been inspired to sit down with my copy but, will get to it this week. Thanks for the review buddy.. ;)
Regards,
Be sure to let me know what you think Ralph!