AVS Discussions
Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: David Vaughn on December 06, 2020, 01:11:06 PM
-
(https://i.imgur.com/dhj1WuS.jpg)
Studio: Paramount
Release Date: December 8, 2020
Rating: R
Film: 4.5/5
Plot
Coppola’s masterful film adaptation of Puzo’s novel chronicles the rise and fall of the Corleone family and the saga is rightfully viewed as one of the greatest in cinematic history. The Godfather: Part III was nominated for seven Academy Awards®, including Best Picture and Best Director*. The film follows Michael Corleone (Al Pacino), now in his 60s, as he seeks to free his family from crime and find a suitable successor to his empire.
A word for the writer/director:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1FayIXZhm4 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1FayIXZhm4)
My Thoughts
I’ve watched the first two parts of The Godfather countless times over the years, but I’ve never found Part III to be that compelling—until now. This reworked vision of the film is extremely well crafted and changes the narrative ever so slightly in the right direction. You can see and feel the torment that Michael is going through and according to Coppola, this is the vision of the finale that he always wanted and fortunately, Paramount allowed him to go back and rework it.
I remember 30 years ago when Sophia Coppola’s performance was lambasted by the critics, but in all honesty, I don’t get it. Sure, she’s probably the worst actor in the production, but she was thrown into the role at the last minute when Winona Ryder backed out and frankly, she does a decent job playing the naïve teenager. It was fun seeing a young Andy Garcia in one of his earlier roles and I found the third act to be full of drama and intrigue, even though I knew how it would end.
The presentation is vey good and while some may find it a tad on the dark side, this is how it was intentionally shot with shadows casting across the actor’s faces, particularly Michael as he balances between the forces of good and evil and how these shadows portray his moods. The TrueHD 5.1 track features intelligible dialog and some good use of atmospheric effects to the rear of the room, especially during the final act.
Video 4.5/5
Audio 4.5/5 (Dolby TrueHD 5.1)
Special Features:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfr0c0fnjX8 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfr0c0fnjX8)
Conclusion
There will certainly be a 4K release of the The Godfather trilogy at some point in the future and I hope that this version of the third film is included in the set. At the very least offer both versions and let the fans choose which one they want to watch—I know which one I’ll be watching, that’s for sure! If you’re a fan of the trilogy, definitely give this one a look because I think you’ll agree it’s the best conclusion to one of the greatest trilogies in film history. Highly recommended.
Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays (https://portrait.com/))
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed ChannelsATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-980M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
SVS SB-3000 SubwooferJL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (configured as tandem mid bass modules)Mini DSP controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
-
Interesting. While the first two are some of my favorite movies of all time (which I’m due for a rewatch) I’ve never seen the 3rd despot owning it in two formats.
Might have to check this out
-
I am hoping for a 4K Godfather Saga which edits the three films together, in chronological order. So far that has been released to cable and on Laser Disc but never on DVD.
I have this on order.
David, to be honest, Miss Coppola was terrible. Paramount rushed production so they could not wait and find another actress. But that is not relevant. Her performance hurts the film, it doesn't matter what the reason. Heck, when she got shot, I wondered what took them so long. (Just kidding)
-
I am hoping for a 4K Godfather Saga which edits the three films together, in chronological order. So far that has been released to cable and on Laser Disc but never on DVD.
I have this on order.
David, to be honest, Miss Coppola was terrible. Paramount rushed production so they could not wait and find another actress. But that is not relevant. Her performance hurts the film, it doesn't matter what the reason. Heck, when she got shot, I wondered what took them so long. (Just kidding)
Neither my wife or I found her performance offensive...I have seen worse from other actresses (and actors). It's still a very good film. I'm curious to hear how you like the new cut.
-
Dave, I just got Goodfellas 4k and tomorrow Godfather III 4K. Nowadays however, everyone is wearing a mask.
-
Dave, I just got Goodfellas 4k and tomorrow Godfather III 4K. Nowadays however, everyone is wearing a mask.
It's "Mobster's Week" at Barry's house. BYOP (Bring Your Own Popcorn (And Mask)). Enjoy!
-
Another final to the Godfather Saga. I thought I was done buying discs but…
“Every time I think I’m out, they pull me back in.”
David wrote, “I’ve watched the first two parts of The Godfather countless times over the years, but I’ve never found Part III to be that compelling...until now.”
Right on! Or, in David’s case, “Write On!” I gave the first two Godfather films four out of four stars and 1.5, maybe 2 for the last one. This is at least 3 stars! Maybe 3.5 (I have to see it again.) It is a better story, told much better, with much better pacing. While Miss Cupola didn’t add much to the picture, here she was not a distraction at all. This is partially because her scenes and character were developed much better. Although mis-titled, I really enjoyed this movie. It is a fitting end.
We also got much less of the miscast George Hamilton. (Robert Duvall turned down the role because he wanted more money. He really was missed) And more of Talia Shire and she is just damn good.
Pacino is beyond great. He recently said that he wished they had filmed his last sense NOW because he would not need make-up.
Seriously, there were several plot points and relationships I did not fully understand in the original version, which I have not seen in years. This clears up all but one.
Two minor points: I still wish the final 20 minutes were shorter. And I still don’t see Kay being almost forgiving to Mike after the way he treated her…and vice versa.
By the way, the sub-titles don’t exactly match the dialogue.
-
Another final to the Godfather Saga. I thought I was done buying discs but…
“Every time I think I’m out, they pull me back in.”
David wrote, “I’ve watched the first two parts of The Godfather countless times over the years, but I’ve never found Part III to be that compelling...until now.”
Right on! Or, in David’s case, “Write On!” I gave the first two Godfather films four out of four stars and 1.5, maybe 2 for the last one. This is at least 3 stars! Maybe 3.5 (I have to see it again.) It is a better story, told much better, with much better pacing. While Miss Cupola didn’t add much to the picture, here she was not a distraction at all. This is partially because her scenes and character were developed much better. Although mis-titled, I really enjoyed this movie. It is a fitting end.
We also got much less of the miscast George Hamilton. (Robert Duvall turned down the role because he wanted more money. He really was missed) And more of Talia Shire and she is just damn good.
Pacino is beyond great. He recently said that he wished they had filmed his last sense NOW because he would not need make-up.
Seriously, there were several plot points and relationships I did not fully understand in the original version, which I have not seen in years. This clears up all but one.
Two minor points: I still wish the final 20 minutes were shorter. And I still don’t see Kay being almost forgiving to Mike after the way he treated her…and vice versa.
By the way, the sub-titles don’t exactly match the dialogue.
Barry, I noticed that with the subtitles as well. Whenever a character mumbled in a scene we'd go back and rewatch it with subtitles on. What I think is the subtitles are from the actual script versus a small adlib by the actor in the scene. I noticed this a lot with Garcia, in particular. I'm glad you enjoyed it though...amazing what can be done in the editing room to improve a movie that has already been in the can for 30 years!