AVS Discussions

Audio => Subwoofers => Topic started by: bmoney on November 17, 2020, 08:11:32 AM

Title: do you even BEQ? if not you dont know what your missing!
Post by: bmoney on November 17, 2020, 08:11:32 AM
Ok So I had tried this before with a non HD minidsp 2x4 and i really hated the results (bloated bass, bad sounds) so I upgraded to a minidsp 2x4HD and WOW!


All movies are bass monsters that dig into the single digits! Really is outstanding.  It brings out content that has been filtered out!

If you have a capable system, I HIGHLY recommend you check it out.  Its VERY simple, and once setup its point and click in your minidsp 2x4HD plugin program.  EASILY the best upgrade I have made for audio and it only cost $200!!

ill link to the "other forum" that has an outstanding HOW TO in the first few posts, 

BEQ (bass EQ) thread with how to... (https://www.avsforum.com/threads/bass-eq-for-filtered-movies.2995212/)
BEQ Catalogue (https://beqcatalogue.readthedocs.io/en/latest/)
More BEQ info (https://beqdesigner.readthedocs.io/en/latest/)
Title: Re: do you even BEQ? if not you dont know what your missing!
Post by: sdeepak on November 17, 2020, 09:36:08 AM
I did the same, and like the end results.

When you eq only the subs using minidsp2x4HD and REW, is it normal to see the FR go down after 80hz? 
I'm referring to the blue line in this pic..
Title: Re: do you even BEQ? if not you dont know what your missing!
Post by: bmoney on November 17, 2020, 12:58:29 PM
I did the same, and like the end results.

When you eq only the subs using minidsp2x4HD and REW, is it normal to see the FR go down after 80hz?
I'm referring to the blue line in this pic..
I think you are misreading the point of this thread. 
this is to bring out the content mixed on a Blu-ray Disc. Not to eq your sub response
Title: Re: do you even BEQ? if not you dont know what your missing!
Post by: sdeepak on November 17, 2020, 01:06:47 PM
Sorry about that !. didn't realize that part..
Title: Re: do you even BEQ? if not you dont know what your missing!
Post by: AVSMike on November 17, 2020, 02:04:42 PM
Are you manually entering in the filters per movie? I looked at some of this and saw the filters per movie.
Title: Re: do you even BEQ? if not you dont know what your missing!
Post by: bmoney on November 18, 2020, 07:12:13 AM
Sorry about that !. didn't realize that part..
No worries :)
Title: Re: do you even BEQ? if not you dont know what your missing!
Post by: bmoney on November 18, 2020, 07:14:38 AM
Are you manually entering in the filters per movie? I looked at some of this and saw the filters per movie.
There is a repo they have established for 3000 movies and tv shows so far. So all you have to do is go into the 2x4hd software and load the file for the movie. It’s super easy. 

im still in awe. Every movie is a. 5 star bass movie now. And it’s not like it’s out of place bass either. it’s all in the actual audio track. 

so a door slamming has heft to it. As it does in real life. A car wooshung  by your car while your at a turn left signal has the Heft it should

its really a game changer. Can’t speak enough to it 
Title: Re: do you even BEQ? if not you dont know what your missing!
Post by: AVSCraig on November 18, 2020, 11:16:37 AM
There is a repo they have established for 3000 movies and tv shows so far. So all you have to do is go into the 2x4hd software and load the file for the movie. It’s super easy.

im still in awe. Every movie is a. 5 star bass movie now. And it’s not like it’s out of place bass either. it’s all in the actual audio track.

so a door slamming has heft to it. As it does in real life. A car wooshung  by your car while your at a turn left signal has the Heft it should

its really a game changer. Can’t speak enough to it
One needs to have a laptop in the theater to load each BEQ, right ? And clear it before the next movie etc. I don't know - sounds good but also a hassle. 
Title: Re: do you even BEQ? if not you dont know what your missing!
Post by: SRW1000 on November 18, 2020, 11:45:53 AM
One needs to have a laptop in the theater to load each BEQ, right ? And clear it before the next movie etc. I don't know - sounds good but also a hassle.
If you buy the MiniDSP WI-DG adapter you can load it from any computer with the MiniDSP software on your network; you don't have to be physically connected to the unit itself.
Title: Re: do you even BEQ? if not you dont know what your missing!
Post by: AVSCraig on November 18, 2020, 12:22:07 PM
If you buy the MiniDSP WI-DG adapter you can load it from any computer with the MiniDSP software on your network; you don't have to be physically connected to the unit itself.
Good to know. I'll check that out.

Correction - that wi fi adaptor is $110.00 - that will need to wait. 
Title: Re: do you even BEQ? if not you dont know what your missing!
Post by: bmoney on November 18, 2020, 12:26:58 PM
One needs to have a laptop in the theater to load each BEQ, right ? And clear it before the next movie etc. I don't know - sounds good but also a hassle.
yes,  I have my laptop permanently on my av rack now to load the BEQ's and so its easy to setup DIRAC and/ REW :)
but yes the wifi adapter is a perfect solution you can load the BEQ for the moviee from wherever your laptop is located

and trust me its way worth it....VERY small price to pay for the reward.
Title: Re: do you even BEQ? if not you dont know what your missing!
Post by: SRW1000 on November 18, 2020, 12:36:13 PM
Good to know. I'll check that out.

Correction - that wi fi adaptor is $110.00 - that will need to wait.
I agree.  That seems like a high price for what it does, but many find it worth the convenience.

It can be found for less (Deer Creek Audio is an authorized US reseller), but I also haven't pulled the trigger on it for the same reason.

It's too bad the HD 2x4 doesn't have a built-in ethernet port.  That would only add a few bucks to the manufacturing cost, and would be useful for many different users.
Title: Re: do you even BEQ? if not you dont know what your missing!
Post by: bmoney on February 14, 2021, 08:42:29 AM
So the powers of BEQ have developed an ezBEQ which is accessible from any phone or tablet. It now can load the BEQ from the seats in your theater in real time. Just need a raspberry pi or windows laptop connected to the minidsp. It works ok the background.

It has all the filters already to go. You just search and add to a configuration slot. So impressive

Title: Re: do you even BEQ? if not you dont know what your missing!
Post by: SRW1000 on February 14, 2021, 12:30:18 PM
It's also worth mentioning that if you have a Monoprice HTP-1, the BEQ program has a special setting to load BEQ filters into the PEQ settings of the HTP-1.  It literally takes about a minute to load the correct filters.

And yes, BEQ is the real deal.  :)
Title: Re: do you even BEQ? if not you dont know what your missing!
Post by: AVSCraig on April 12, 2021, 12:27:09 PM
I lost my motivation to even try BEQ. My theater is on a wood subfloor over a 2 car garage, which helps with LFE tactile feel. My two SB4000's on the rear are pointed at either end of the sectional sofa from 30" away, which also helps with LFE tactile feel. And, for somewhat bass anemic movies, I an just raise the level of the 6 subs ( all 14,000 watts worth ) in a second with the DeRemote app. Or in the case of Tenet - lower it. Maybe my situation is unique, but bass sounds great with every movie I watch. Even Disney films! 8)
Title: Re: do you even BEQ? if not you dont know what your missing!
Post by: bmoney on April 25, 2021, 01:48:13 PM
you have even more reason to use BEQ. withy your setup!  but some people dont like putting in any effort to get the best out of their stuff ;) lol JK
Title: Re: do you even BEQ? if not you dont know what your missing!
Post by: AVSCraig on April 26, 2021, 10:46:56 AM
you have even more reason to use BEQ. withy your setup!  but some people dont like putting in any effort to get the best out of their stuff ;) lol JK
I'm not really into making each movie require the most work possible to watch either. I have more bass than I know what to do with now - without it. Even on Disney movies.  
Title: Re: do you even BEQ? if not you dont know what your missing!
Post by: bmoney on April 26, 2021, 11:27:45 AM
I'm not really into making each movie require the most work possible to watch either. I have more bass than I know what to do with now - without it. Even on Disney movies. 
if you knew how easy it was you would laugh at yourself for making this statement.  
and its not about MORE bass. Its about the deep bass that's missing but shouldn't be.


especially now with ezBEQ which runs off your phone or tablet
Title: Re: do you even BEQ? if not you dont know what your missing!
Post by: AVSCraig on April 26, 2021, 11:40:57 AM
if you knew how easy it was you would laugh at yourself for making this statement. 
and its not about MORE bass. Its about the deep bass that's missing but shouldn't be.


especially now with ezBEQ which runs off your phone or tablet
Well, when I have spare time maybe I will look into it again. My motivation level to do anything in the theater other than watch a movie and then go to bed is extremely low right now. 
Title: Re: do you even BEQ? if not you dont know what your missing!
Post by: bmoney on April 26, 2021, 12:20:21 PM
Well, when I have spare time maybe I will look into it again. My motivation level to do anything in the theater other than watch a movie and then go to bed is extremely low right now.
Let me know. I’d be more than happy to help :)

right now I use my phone app to turn up the volume of my avr the. Swipe to the BEQ app and apply the filter. Total takes 10 seconds for both. :) and it’s all before or while the opening credits are rolling. So goes unnoticed to all. 

pretty slick. 
Title: Re: do you even BEQ? if not you dont know what your missing!
Post by: SRW1000 on June 22, 2021, 12:42:19 AM
If any of you own a Monoprice HTP-1, you'll be happy to know that pink soda has just updated his already fantastic interface to upload BEQ filters without having to use ezBEQ or the BEQ program.

It's really slick, and you can see more details on the HTP-1 thread on that other AVS forum.  ;)
Title: Re: do you even BEQ? if not you dont know what your missing!
Post by: bmoney on June 22, 2021, 03:05:04 AM
This has come so far. It’s so easy now. And this makes it even easier. Wow. 

I know if you use a server. They have been trying to get a docker to load it automatically like the monolith 
Title: Re: do you even BEQ? if not you dont know what your missing!
Post by: Lucjules on November 26, 2021, 04:05:32 PM
I stayed away from BEQ myself because I thought it was too difficult but giving it a second glance I am going to give it a try. 
I just got my minidsp and am super excited to give this a try. 
Title: Re: do you even BEQ? if not you dont know what your missing!
Post by: bmoney on November 26, 2021, 09:59:59 PM
It’s really easy. If you need help lmk
Title: Re: do you even BEQ? if not you dont know what your missing!
Post by: bmoney on September 05, 2022, 09:35:57 PM
One of the greatest applications of this is atomic blonde. Wow what a difference. 
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal