AVS Discussions
Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: David Vaughn on October 30, 2020, 04:48:12 PM
-
(https://i.imgur.com/3qJExuT.jpg)
Studio: Lionsgate
Release: November 3, 2020
Rating: R
Film: 4/5
Plot
A twisted, funny, high-octane action-adventure from director Matthew Vaughn (the Kingsman movies), Kick-Ass tells the story of a teenage fanboy (Aaron Johnson) who takes his comic book obsession as inspiration to become a real-life superhero. Costars Chloë Grace Moretz as Hit-Girl and Nicolas Cage as her father, Big Daddy.
My Thoughts
Somehow I’d never seen this film before and I can’t imagine why not. I’ve liked Vaughn’s other films—with a last name like Vaughn, how couldn’t I?—so I was interested to give this one a viewing. It came highly recommended by my daughter’s boyfriend, so my 21-year-old son and I sat down to watch it last night and absolutely LOVED IT! Granted, this isn’t Oscar-worthy material by any stretch, but it’s a hell of a lot of fun to watch. Sure, it’s violent as hell, but without my wife chirping in my ear about it for two hours I didn’t seem to mind it at all.
The premise of this film is quite hilarious as a nerdy high school senior decides he’s going to be the neighborhood Superhero without any real powers at all. Needless to say, his first foray into stopping a couple of car thieves didn’t go according to plan. What’s so interesting about the tale is the protagonist actually grows in the film and seems to learn from his mistakes. Having known nothing about the film beforehand, I was surprised to see Nicolas Cage playing a slightly off-kilter version of himself as he tutors his young daughter on the ways of the world and let’s just say this up front, she’s definitely prepared for what life has in store for her.
The 4K presentation is good, but not great. It’s upconverted for a 2K DI and while the detail looks great, there are times when faces look a bit waxy and the overall presentation is bit too polished. I viewed the Dolby Vision presentation using a HD Fury allowing my Pansonic player to tone map the video. While not a bad presentation by any stretch, it just didn’t blow me away. Now the Atmos track is a completely different story. Let’s just say that the track kicked some serious ass.
Video 8/10
Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)
Special Features:
- A New Kind of Superhero: The Making of Kick-Ass
- It’s On! The Comic Book Origin of Kick-Ass
- Audio Commentary by Director Matthew Vaughn
- Marketing Archive
- The Art of Kick-Ass Gallery (Blu-ray™ Only)
- Digital Copy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rpXHqnGDXo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rpXHqnGDXo)
Conclusion
Given the success of the film, a sequel came out in 2013 and now I’m in a quandary. Do I buy the Blu-ray or play the waiting game and hope that a 4K release comes sometime next year? Hopefully sales of this disc are brisk and Lionsgate comes to the table with it soon. Fortunately, the PR agency sent me the Best Buy exclusive Steelbook, which looks outstanding and is definitely worth the upcharge if you collect movies. The artwork is fantastic. If you’re like me and skipped this one ten years ago, definitely give it a look if you’re into comic book movies—it’s one hell of a ride. Highly recommended.
Reference Review System:
Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Fixed Screen
Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-980
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
JL Audio Fathom F110 Subwoofers x 2 (stacked)
JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (stacked)
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
-
I love this film. Is this a re-issue / Steelbook ? I thought it looked better on the 4K disc than the Blu-ray, and looked pretty good - at least on my RS4500. I can't tell you how many times I've watched this ! :)
-
It's re-issue in a Steelbook. It doesn't look "bad" per se, but it is an upconversion and I some scenes looked a bit wonky to me. I'll have to watch it again!
-
It's re-issue in a Steelbook. It doesn't look "bad" per se, but it is an upconversion and I some scenes looked a bit wonky to me. I'll have to watch it again!
It is a bit hyper stylized at times.
-
Very fun movie, saw it on BD when it came out but never bought, and wouldn't mind seeing again but doesn't sound like the 4K is quite worthy.
I think this pairs well with the older Mystery Men as fun, offbeat twists on the "regular folks becoming superheroes" genre.
-
Very fun movie, saw it on BD when it came out but never bought, and wouldn't mind seeing again but doesn't sound like the 4K is quite worthy.
I think this pairs well with the older Mystery Men as fun, offbeat twists on the "regular folks becoming superheroes" genre.
I think the 4K disc looks good - buy it !
-
Very fun movie, saw it on BD when it came out but never bought, and wouldn't mind seeing again but doesn't sound like the 4K is quite worthy.
I think this pairs well with the older Mystery Men as fun, offbeat twists on the "regular folks becoming superheroes" genre.
It doesn't look bad at all. The detail is better than on the Blu-ray, but if the Blu-ray is $7.99 and the UHD is $29.99, I'd buy the Blu-ray :)
-
https://www.amazon.com/Kick-Ass-4K-Ultra-Blu-ray-Digital/dp/B07477Z59S/ref=sr_1_1?crid=PU1GGRME9XV5&dchild=1&keywords=kickass+4k+blu+ray&qid=1604115511&sprefix=kick+ass+4%2Caps%2C220&sr=8-1
$ 17.99 - and Black Friday week is coming
-
https://www.amazon.com/Kick-Ass-4K-Ultra-Blu-ray-Digital/dp/B07477Z59S/ref=sr_1_1?crid=PU1GGRME9XV5&dchild=1&keywords=kickass+4k+blu+ray&qid=1604115511&sprefix=kick+ass+4%2Caps%2C220&sr=8-1
$ 17.99 - and Black Friday week is coming
That's a good price and worth it.
-
That's a good price and worth it.
I usually can find a deal on Amazon for 4K BR's. Sometimes " watched once " or " never watched but digital code removed " saves a ton of money. Whatever it takes !
-
I really enjoyed it the first time I viewed it on BD. But when I viewed it again on UHD disc, I found it difficult to stick with it until the end.
I didn't care for the sequel as it turns attention away from Hit-Girl to focus on Kick Ass.
Chloe Grace Moretz said she won't do a third film because she didn't like what they did to her character in the sequel. She wants fans to remember Hit-Girl as she was in the first film.
-
I really enjoyed it the first time I viewed it on BD. But when I viewed it again on UHD disc, I found it difficult to stick with it until the end.
I didn't care for the sequel as it turns attention away from Hit-Girl to focus on Kick Ass.
Chloe Grace Moretz said she won't do a third film because she didn't like what they did to her character in the sequel. She wants fans to remember Hit-Girl as she was in the first film.
I never bothered with the sequel. But I loved the first one.
-
I really enjoyed it the first time I viewed it on BD. But when I viewed it again on UHD disc, I found it difficult to stick with it until the end.
I didn't care for the sequel as it turns attention away from Hit-Girl to focus on Kick Ass.
Chloe Grace Moretz said she won't do a third film because she didn't like what they did to her character in the sequel. She wants fans to remember Hit-Girl as she was in the first film.
She was outstanding in the first movie, especially the first time you see her as a "superhero." She's quite the little actress and I read that she did most of her own stunts as well.
-
She was outstanding in the first movie, especially the first time you see her as a "superhero." She's quite the little actress and I read that she did most of her own stunts as well.
She's great in " Hugo " too.