AVS Discussions
Audio => Preamps/Preamp-processors => Topic started by: Barry on September 16, 2020, 03:18:54 PM
-
I am still looking to update my surround system, which I also use for my two channel CD, SACD and FM Tuner. So two channel sound is important as well as Atmos. And I would prefer a unit at had balanced ins and well as outs.
Dealers have suggested:
The MacIntosh 710
Audio Control maestro x9
And the Bryston SP4
Any suggestions? Anyone have one and these? Anyone have any experience with these?
-
I don't think you mentioned a reason you're not considering the newer Krell Foundation?
From a recent Widescreen Review review of it (https://widescreenreview.com/eq_detail.php?id=661 if you have a subscription):
Conclusion
Once I learned that EQ needed to be set to Off to get the sort of sound quality I expect from a surround sound processor in this price range, movie sound perked up so much that the Foundation won me over right at the end of the review period. Analog pass-through sound quality was excellent right from the beginning, filling the role of an analog stereo preamp so well that it really wasn’t necessary to have a separate analog preamp for analog sources. “Civilians” were properly “WOW!’d” by the movie sonics, to the point that they would groan when a demo scene was stopped. In every case, they wanted to keep on watching the whole movie. That’s one of the main jobs of a surround sound processor, and the Foundation did it well. The Foundation is up against seriously good competitors in its price range. If the feature set fits your needs, the Foundation will definitely deliver on your sound-quality expectations. WSR
-
First, there is NO Atmos here.
I have the 707 and, when working, sounds great. However, Krell is not the company it once was. Repairs are more often and they do not do them well. Nor do they respond well to my questions. For example, I asked them about a modification to my 1500 amp and they said they would respond the next business day. That was a month ago and they do call respond to my emails or phone calls.
They even said, in Jnauary that a new unit would be coming out that woulds be 4k and Atmos. No luck seeing that 10 months later.
-
StormAudio ISP 3D.16 24 or 32 MK2 depending on number of channels required. What Bryston SP4 is based on but the ISP MK2 can decode 24 channels for Atmos (soon for DTS-X pro too).
-
Barry, did you do anything? I see Anthem has released an update of the AVM 60 as the AVM 70, plus a higher end model, the AVM 90.
https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/anthem-avm70-90-mrx1140-740-540
-
Barry, the AVM 90 may be right up your alley. If it's as good as the Anthem Statement processor from back in the day, you'll be very pleased!
-
Thanks Paul and David!
Now I am actually looking for TWO DIFFERENT UNITS!
First, for the big room, I was thinking of the McIntosh 170 and the Trinnov. But, to be frank, I wanted the following things:
1. Best sound, surround and two channels.
2. Ease of Use and set up
3. A reliable company. I was with Mark Levinson for over a decade and they were totally reliable. They went to hell when acquired by Harmon. (I know they left Harmon). The I went to Krell and now they are falling apart. So I want a reliable company.
The McIntosh also has balanced inputs, several RCA and it has a phono input. Also, I learned that they use the same boards as the Trinnov. (Don’t tell anyone I told you.) I just do not know what the Athem AVM 90 will have. Or when it will be out.
Second unit:
For our upstairs room I was thinking of the Marantz 8015. But now I think I would like to see the Anthem MRX1140, but gosh knows when it will be out. The Marantz is back ordered. (I technically have ordered it but can easily cancel)
-
Anyone use the Lexicon MC10 here?
-
Hello Barry,
may I ask you how many channels you are currently planning for your immersive audio set-up?
-
I am going to try out the Audio Control Maestro X7. I was between this one and the Monoprice HTP-1. We carry both brands. Probably still a couple weeks away from receiving the X7. Looking forward to having Dirac in my room again. Will be especially nice being able to use a calibrated mic for setup.
-
Hello Barry,
may I ask you how many channels you are currently planning for your immersive audio set-up?
Hi there!!
I will have three front channels, left right and center.
Two surround.
One Back (I don't have room for two backs)
Two Atmos on the ceiling
and two sub woofers
-
I am going to try out the Audio Control Maestro X7. I was between this one and the Monoprice HTP-1. We carry both brands. Probably still a couple weeks away from receiving the X7. Looking forward to having Dirac in my room again. Will be especially nice being able to use a calibrated mic for setup.
dirac is so good. its now officially a non starter for any processor without it if i decide to go another route
-
Hey Barry,
understood. I initially I had good option in mind since you do not need that many channels. I was thinking either the Lyngdorf MP 40/60 (depending on upgrade possibilities and necessary inputs). Then I realized you need analog inputs.
That is really a shame because this could have been really a good fit.
The heritage of Lyngdorf is stereo music. The room correction system is amazing. It really is perfect for home theater and stereo listening. In addition it is very easy to set up and works.
Lyngdorf, Trinnov and Storm Processors are clearly on another level than the rest of its league (I formerly had multiple processors Audionet, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Integra, NAD and the Anthem which I still have in my living room).
Trinnov Optimizer and Room Perfect System are for me the best room correction systems followed by DIRAC and ARC Genesis.
The Trinnov is the most future proof platform since it is a SW based design. I would clearly prefer the Altitude 32 but it then also another league in terms of price. Especially by having a complex set up the Trinnov shines. (eg, multi way active speakers for digital crossover, different speaker designs, not optimized speaker positions) because the immense amount of adjustment possibilities and the remapping functionality. It has an installation Wizzard BUT it is very welcomed to get a professional installation in order to use the entire potential and at the end even not be satisfied.
By considering also Stereo Listening as high priority I would recommend to tend more towards the Lyngdorf or Storm Audio. Room Perfect is one of the very few correction system which listeners keep turned on in stereo mode. The Lyngorf really has it strengths in Stereo and Multichannel configurations but is by far for not so customizable as the Storm Audio of the Trinnov. Someone who wants to play around and adjust the setting in the room correction in the very detail is wrong with that unit, but as I said before very is and quick to set up on the other hand. The Storm Audio sounds also amazing without the room correction system. It has an extremely good 16 channel DAC and the best implementation of DIRAC in a processor. It is a DSP based processor and also has an upgrade path but not as futureproof as the Trinnov
I was initially thinking the Lyngdorf could be the best bang for the buck in your case but they do not have analog inputs.
Just some input from my side. But there is missing to much further information to make a recommendation in your situation (preferences and circumstances). It really depends on so much factors. In that area of expenses you should really get a demo at a dealer or ideally try to get the chance to demo some processors at your home with your room and with your speakers
Sometimes even little things can drive someone nuts (like no OSD available) and suddenly the best sounding processors is out :).
Apologize, non-native English speaker.
-
I have a Trinnov Altitude 16 en route for a review in an upcoming issue. The manual is 170 pages (in one language). I'm a bit intimidated with the setup but I'm also excited to see it in action. It will be the most expensive piece of gear I've ever reviewed.
-
I have a Trinnov Altitude 16 en route for a review in an upcoming issue. The manual is 170 pages (in one language). I'm a bit intimidated with the setup but I'm also excited to see it in action. It will be the most expensive piece of gear I've ever reviewed.
It's way more of a processor than I would need but I am looking forward to reading your review.
-
HC Nick, Dave and Tracy:
Thanks again for the input. I am getting the Mac Mx 170, which is in the same price range as the Trinnov. And, it uses their technology. You can use, as IO understand, the Trinnov apps and remotes. Part of my decision making was wanting not just a unit from a sable company, but one where locals dealers can help setting it up or if there are any problems. I guess though, although vinyl is making a comeback, the world will be mostly digital.