AVS Discussions

Movie and TV Discussion => Blu-rays => Topic started by: TRainH2O on March 21, 2020, 11:07:10 AM

Title: March 20, 2020 Blu-ray Releases
Post by: TRainH2O on March 21, 2020, 11:07:10 AM
About Time (Reissue)
Couples Retreat
Dumb and Dumber To
Get on Up
Moonrise Kingdom (Reissue)
Nightcrawler
Pillow Talk (Reissue)
Silent House 2011 (Reissue)
Sudden Death
Unfriended (Reissue)
Title: Re: March 20, 2020 Blu-ray Releases
Post by: AVSCraig on March 21, 2020, 02:46:59 PM
I love Nightcrawler. But I already have it on Blu-ray. 
Title: Re: March 20, 2020 Blu-ray Releases
Post by: David Vaughn on March 21, 2020, 06:46:44 PM
Over the next two weeks we will see movies that were supposed to be in theaters go straight to digital. I've received a few press releases already stating that they will provide digital codes for review purposes and physical media will not be provided. This is most likely due to the Shelter in Place order in California since the distribution centers are located in SoCal. 
Title: Re: March 20, 2020 Blu-ray Releases
Post by: AVSCraig on March 21, 2020, 10:45:16 PM
They had best release it on physical media eventually. I wonder - will they still show these films in theaters after the digital release ?
Title: Re: March 20, 2020 Blu-ray Releases
Post by: David Vaughn on March 22, 2020, 01:39:28 AM
They had best release it on physical media eventually. I wonder - will they still show these films in theaters after the digital release ?
No...the theaters are closed in the US right now. No gatherings of 10 or more people (or is it 50?). 
Title: Re: March 20, 2020 Blu-ray Releases
Post by: TRainH2O on March 22, 2020, 10:44:57 AM
Over the next two weeks we will see movies that were supposed to be in theaters go straight to digital.
I read that too. I wonder what pricing will be and if it's a one-time viewing or maybe you get multiple viewings but maybe over a 48-hour period. 
Title: Re: March 20, 2020 Blu-ray Releases
Post by: AVSCraig on March 22, 2020, 11:43:08 AM
No...the theaters are closed in the US right now. No gatherings of 10 or more people (or is it 50?).
I know that David. But we won't be in this state forever. So you are saying these films will never be released in theaters? In other words are the theatrical runs cancelled forever ? If so, they better crank out some shiny discs.
Title: Re: March 20, 2020 Blu-ray Releases
Post by: David Vaughn on March 22, 2020, 03:46:19 PM
No, just in the short term. Some releases, namely Mulan and the Bond movie, have been postponed. Mulan TBD and Bond in November (I think). 
Title: Re: March 20, 2020 Blu-ray Releases
Post by: AVSCraig on March 22, 2020, 06:09:45 PM
They aren't streaming the new Bond movie though, are they ?
Title: Re: March 20, 2020 Blu-ray Releases
Post by: Barry on March 22, 2020, 06:49:38 PM
No, it will be released just before Thanksgiving.
Title: Re: March 20, 2020 Blu-ray Releases
Post by: TRainH2O on March 23, 2020, 12:11:17 PM
I hate to be Mr. Doom & Gloom but I bet this virus situation will take longer to resolve than we think. I think we will see theaters closed a lot longer than a few weeks.

I hope I'm wrong.

However, I hope they shorten the time to get new releases to Blu-ray. I would rather pay $25 and own the disc than a one-time viewing via a streaming service. 
Title: Re: March 20, 2020 Blu-ray Releases
Post by: AVSCraig on March 23, 2020, 01:03:43 PM
I hate to be Mr. Doom & Gloom but I bet this virus situation will take longer to resolve than we think. I think we will see theaters closed a lot longer than a few weeks.

I hope I'm wrong.

However, I hope they shorten the time to get new releases to Blu-ray. I would rather pay $25 and own the disc than a one-time viewing via a streaming service.
I neither stream nor do I go to theaters, so selling me a disc is the only way studios will get my money. 
Title: Re: March 20, 2020 Blu-ray Releases
Post by: David Vaughn on March 23, 2020, 01:38:25 PM
I hate to be Mr. Doom & Gloom but I bet this virus situation will take longer to resolve than we think. I think we will see theaters closed a lot longer than a few weeks.

I hope I'm wrong.

However, I hope they shorten the time to get new releases to Blu-ray. I would rather pay $25 and own the disc than a one-time viewing via a streaming service.
Tracy, I'm hoping the reports of the Malaria drug along with an antibiotic turn out to be true. If there's a treatment for the virus, then we can go on with our lives. Sadly, we are screwing up our economy because the sickness effects the elderly (whereas H1N1 hit the young), so there's more urgency to stop in (IMHO). The mortality rate currently is approximately .5% if we use the Diamond Princess as a case study (and we should be!), but the media wants us glued to the TV and scared for our lives so they are touting numbers much higher than that:  https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-outbreak-diamond-princess-cruise-ship-death-rate (https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-outbreak-diamond-princess-cruise-ship-death-rate)
Title: Re: March 20, 2020 Blu-ray Releases
Post by: TRainH2O on March 23, 2020, 05:24:07 PM
I neither stream nor do I go to theaters, so selling me a disc is the only way studios will get my money.
Craig, I feel the same way. I have comparable AV, more comfortable seating, and much better snacks. 
Title: Re: March 20, 2020 Blu-ray Releases
Post by: TRainH2O on March 23, 2020, 05:33:28 PM
...but the media wants us glued to the TV and scared for our lives...
This is EXACTLY what happened during the 2005+ recession. The media continued to spout doom and gloom to the point where the majority of people started to finally believe it. 

At the time, I was running a very successful photography business specializing in weddings and kids portraits in a very small town. My wedding calendar would be booked about a year in advance. Not one of my clients lost their job or had a reduction in salary, at least that I know of. However, it was as if someone flipped a switch on my income. I kept it going for a few more years but finally closed my doors. There was nothing really coming in yet I had overhead of about $1500 plus the salary of my one remaining employee. 

This is starting to feel the same way only back then we had plenty of toilet paper.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal