AVS Discussions

Movie and TV Discussion => 4K UHD Blu-rays => Topic started by: AVSCraig on January 04, 2017, 10:47:15 AM

Title: " Mastered in 2K, Upscaled to 4K " UHD Blu Rays - does it matter ?
Post by: AVSCraig on January 04, 2017, 10:47:15 AM
I'm not sure it matters that much. Case in point is the new The Magnificent Seven. While I have not had a chance to watch it myself, reviews sure say that the 4K disc looks much better than the Blu Ray.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Magnificent-Seven-4K-Blu-ray/164901/#Review

And I certainly found that to be the case with Star Trek Beyond, which I have done A / B comparisons with the BR. Thoughts ?
Title: Re: " Mastered in 2K, Upscaled to 4K " UHD Blu Rays - does it matter ?
Post by: gadgtfreek on January 05, 2017, 12:11:07 PM
Agree. When I first started this I looked at it like 3D conversions, but then I learned both can look great. I do not even sweat 2K DI any more, I just buy it on UHD if I want it.
Title: Re: " Mastered in 2K, Upscaled to 4K " UHD Blu Rays - does it matter ?
Post by: AVSCraig on January 08, 2017, 04:14:03 PM
The Magnificent Seven was shot on film, mastered in 2K, and upconverted to 4K. Watched it last night - looked outstanding !

 http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Magnificent-Seven-4K-Blu-ray/164901/#Review
Title: Re: " Mastered in 2K, Upscaled to 4K " UHD Blu Rays - does it matter ?
Post by: AVSCraig on July 19, 2017, 12:30:49 PM
" Leon : The Professional " sure looks good on 4K. Nice job Sony !

(https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20228738_10213568828516100_7363690356861741198_n.jpg?oh=fafd8fcdefbf0ed909e9843471db9318&oe=5A0D8860)

(https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/20157271_10213568825316020_8140921135559243014_o.jpg?oh=e852db0e87dd667bfd4c02e380136918&oe=59C66BD9)

(https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/20229485_10213568826116040_371319886319671134_o.jpg?oh=1cccf093d76955ffa8a6dc106c6867fc&oe=5A0FDABA)

(https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/20117018_10213568827316070_486430488997443767_o.jpg?oh=fecc805073982443b95075ca118c9d3d&oe=5A0EAEDE)
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal