AVS Discussions
Networking => Routers and Ethernet => Topic started by: NBPk402 on December 18, 2016, 12:59:29 PM
-
I am trying to get my setup to be as secure as possible, and as fast as possible... Does anyone know what you can do to accomplish this?
I have a Cisco SG300-20 (managed switch) which is going to go next to my router (debating on using a Cisco 890 router or to stick with my Netgear R7000 WIFI Router running DD-WRT firmware (I have both)). I also have a Cisco SG200-18 switch for our FR, and a Cisco SG200-26 in our HT.
I am assuming the SG300 should be my main switch as it is managed and offers level 3 vs level 2... The SG200-26 port is in our HT which has the most amount of equipment, and the LR needs around 12 ports hence the SG200-18. I also would like to setup my UnRaid NAS to utilize both LAN ports on its MB, as I have heard this can make your setup faster too. I don't know though if it is best to use one LAN port for one media player and one port for another Media player. Any ideas?
tia,
Ron
-
What we have decided to do is run the router to the to the access point, and to the SG300 switch. The SG300 switch will then feed my 2 SG200 switches. I am still waiting on my new access point, and another router...so currently I am just using my old Cisco/Linksys WIFI router. We are also adding Nest Protectors to our house and found out that they do not work with DD-WRT firmware (or any other 3rd party firmware), so that is why I am switching out the Netgear R7000 with a Ubiquiti access point.
-
If the LAN ports on your NAS are gigabit, it is unlikely that the network interface is going to be a bottleneck in your setup. You're probably not going to see a difference by using both LAN ports.