AVS Discussions

General => Misc. Fun Stuff => Topic started by: AVSMike on November 07, 2019, 11:23:01 AM

Title: Running for fun
Post by: AVSMike on November 07, 2019, 11:23:01 AM
Any other guys out there that run for fun and health? I started back running in 2012. But fall of 2015 I got Plantar Fasciitis in both feet. I kept trying to run and just made it a lot worse. I would stop running for a while to see if it would heal, but it never did, because I never completely quit. I kept trying to walk and run some. Finally after fighting it for two years, running off and on, I quit everything. No running or walking. I also started on a stretching routine. After five months, I was finally back to where I could start back exercising again. 

Started walking and running a little bit in March of this year. But since I did not want to get hurt again, I made a few changes. Before I used to overstride and heal strike pretty bad. I have since changed my running style. I shortened my stride and increased my cadence. I now feel good. I can go for a run every day with no ill effects. I do still stretch my calf muscles every day, to make sure I do not get too tight. 

I usually run around 20 miles a week. I bought a Forerunner 245 to track my stats. Love this watch. Much better than the Tom Tom Cardio Sport and Garmin Vivoactive that I had before. I vary my routine. Some weeks I run every day, short 3 mile runs. Other weeks I run longer 6 to 8 mile runs every other day. Some days I run a hilly course and other days a flat course. 

I am going to try and run outside as much as I can this winter, since I am not particularly fond of the treadmill. Any other posters like to run?



Title: Re: Running for fun
Post by: AVSCraig on November 07, 2019, 12:42:15 PM
Why not cycling ? It's easier on the joints. I have about 1,791.8 miles and 149,105  feet of elevation gain so far this year. 

https://ridewithgps.com/users/278540 (https://ridewithgps.com/users/278540)
Title: Re: Running for fun
Post by: David Vaughn on November 07, 2019, 01:21:16 PM
I walk the dog and I walk when I golf. Every now and then I'll walk with my wife when she has no one else to go with her. 
Title: Re: Running for fun
Post by: AVSMike on November 07, 2019, 03:25:01 PM
Why not cycling ? It's easier on the joints. I have about 1,791.8 miles and 149,105  feet of elevation gain so far this year.

https://ridewithgps.com/users/278540 (https://ridewithgps.com/users/278540)
Where I live is not a good place to ride (narrow roads and no bike lanes) and it seems like a lot of people get hit by bad drivers. My brother rides with three other people. Two out of the four have been hit by cars.
Title: Re: Running for fun
Post by: AVSLaurie on November 07, 2019, 04:19:29 PM
Is there such a thing as "running for fun"? If so, I've never experienced it. I've come to the conclusion that I am "endorphin challenged". I've actually read up on this recently and there are some people that are truly lacking in this hormone. Maybe I am one of them, so I guess I will just have to stick to walking.
I truly do envy those that are able to feel that "high".

Oh well, can you hear the violins playing for me in the background? ::)
Title: Re: Running for fun
Post by: Waboman on November 08, 2019, 12:33:44 AM
The way I see it we're all given a finite amount of steps in this crazy game of life.  Running just speeds up the ending.;)
Title: Re: Running for fun
Post by: DLCPhoto on November 08, 2019, 06:33:33 AM
My grandmother started running a mile a day.  That was 2 years ago, and we don't know where the hell she is now! ;D :P :) ???
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal