AVS Discussions
Trade shows => CEDIA 2019 => Topic started by: AVSCraig on September 18, 2019, 11:20:53 AM
-
I thought the Alcons speakers sounded the best ( to my ears ) of any speakers I heard at the show ( didn't see the Wisdom demo or the Triad demo though ). I'm using Martin Logan Motion speakers now, and ribbon tweeters just agree with my ears better than anything out there. The Alcons are not harsh at all even sitting pretty close to the surrounds during loud soundtracks. Love them. I also thought the Dreamscreen / VW5000 combo looked really good this year - we saw it before their Lumagen died ( luckily ).
I want these ! ;)
-
Horn loaded ribbons are a nice way to go. :)
-
Horn loaded ribbons are a nice way to go. :)
I told my wife I found $100K of new audio equipment to buy her at Cedia. :-X :o ;)
-
You both like ribbons and Alcons. Did Cineramax hijack your accounts?;D
-
You both like ribbons and Alcons. Did Cineramax hijack your accounts?;D
I have been using horn loaded ribbon speakers before Alcons came to CEDIA the first time.
-
You both like ribbons and Alcons. Did Cineramax hijack your accounts?;D
I've been using ribbon tweeters ( the Martin Logon's ) since May of 2013, so no, Peter isn't controlling my mind ! ;D
-
I have been using horn loaded ribbon speakers before Alcons came to CEDIA the first time.
True and you were one of the firsts to go with the Beyma horns to my knowledge.
-
Thanks guys, those Alcons systems are really great... They are not horn loaded in the normal extent of the name though, they merely use a regular waveguide, unlike a compression driver that uses the horn to distribute the waves. Advantage of that are many, but one of them is a super stabile 1-20KHz frequency response at the entire dispersion zone (horns will always reduce their beam-width significantly at higher frequencies...). Knowing they have up to 90x120 degrees waveguides gives them a clear edge also over alternatives such as Beyma as their TPL´s typically is quite limited in the horisontal plane (40 degrees for TPL-150 for example). As such, the Alcons speakers would work very well also in low ceiling immersive installations, still using the sound pro-ribbon HF on all speakers. Not saying Beyma is a bad alternative either BTW, but the pointy dispersion is indeed challenging to overcome in atmos / DTS:X ++ immersive installations...
-
Thanks guys, those Alcons systems are really great... They are not horn loaded in the normal extent of the name though, they merely use a regular waveguide, unlike a compression driver that uses the horn to distribute the waves. Advantage of that are many, but one of them is a super stabile 1-20KHz frequency response at the entire dispersion zone (horns will always reduce their beam-width significantly at higher frequencies...). Knowing they have up to 90x120 degrees waveguides gives them a clear edge also over alternatives such as Beyma as their TPL´s typically is quite limited in the horisontal plane (40 degrees for TPL-150 for example). As such, the Alcons speakers would work very well also in low ceiling immersive installations, still using the sound pro-ribbon HF on all speakers. Not saying Beyma is a bad alternative either BTW, but the pointy dispersion is indeed challenging to overcome in atmos / DTS:X ++ immersive installations...
The TPL-150H is very limited in the vertical direction, so would not recommend them for use where wide vertical dispersion is needed, but work great for LCR's or lower level surrounds in an HT system, where the listener is seated. Also helps to reduce floor and ceiling bounce. Anyway, have always enjoyed the Alcon speakers.
-
...and yes, vertical dispersion is the limitation of the TPL´s was what I meant to say, and I certainly agree the 150´s are - in general - very good drivers (they are very popular in Norway for various DIY LCR´s)...