AVS Discussions

Misc. Video => Video Processors => Topic started by: Barry on September 03, 2019, 03:26:33 PM

Title: Best TV tuner
Post by: Barry on September 03, 2019, 03:26:33 PM
I would like to get a good TV tuner to use with my JVC3000 projector, which, of course, does not have a tuner. You get more channels that way and a better picture than cable. I don’t need a dvr or tivo fuction. Can anyone suggust a good broadcast tuner?
Title: Re: Best TV tuner
Post by: TRainH2O on September 03, 2019, 04:27:02 PM
Digital Trends just did a story about this very topic. A few of them are Tivo DVRs, but there are other options too. I have no experience with any of them.

Whatever you get, I want to hear about it. My wife wants to look into "cutting the cord".

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/best-ota-receivers/ (https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/best-ota-receivers/)
Title: Re: Best TV tuner
Post by: Barry on September 03, 2019, 05:01:40 PM
Thanx for the reply. None of these are just a plain tuner, which is what i am looking for.  The third one comes the closest. 
Title: Re: Best TV tuner
Post by: AVSCraig on September 03, 2019, 06:09:02 PM
Digital Trends just did a story about this very topic. A few of them are Tivo DVRs, but there are other options too. I have no experience with any of them.

Whatever you get, I want to hear about it. My wife wants to look into "cutting the cord".

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/best-ota-receivers/ (https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/best-ota-receivers/)
My wife wants to do the same thing. It's either an antenna / DVR combo ( some of those are cheap ) or streaming HDTV via a Roku over the internet. We are out in the hills where reception can be a problem. 
Title: Re: Best TV tuner
Post by: RevUllom on September 03, 2019, 06:46:45 PM
A couple of years ago I picked up a cheap tuner to use with my projector.  It isn't fancy, but it has worked well and isn't too slow.
  https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HOMEWORX-Converter-Recording-Function/dp/B07145QJX1/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=Mediasonic+HOMEWORX+180STB+HDTV+Digital+Converter+Box&qid=1567550479&s=gateway&sr=8-4 (https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HOMEWORX-Converter-Recording-Function/dp/B07145QJX1/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=Mediasonic+HOMEWORX+180STB+HDTV+Digital+Converter+Box&qid=1567550479&s=gateway&sr=8-4)
Title: Re: Best TV tuner
Post by: Baseball0618 on September 04, 2019, 07:29:54 AM
My wife wants to do the same thing. It's either an antenna / DVR combo ( some of those are cheap ) or streaming HDTV via a Roku over the internet. We are out in the hills where reception can be a problem.
We just "cut the cord" two weeks ago.  Got tired of the $400.00 cable bill.  I use a combination of Apple TV4k boxes and fire stick 4ks and have a hulu live tv subscription and don't regret it for a second!  Upgraded to Verizon gigabit internet speed, kept our house phone and are saving over $200.00 a month.  Hulu live comes w/ cloud based dvr up to 50 hours or you can pay a bit extra for added storage.  You can' view dvr shows without some ads however.  For an hour long program you have to sit through (3) 60 second ads, not bad IMO.  
Title: Re: Best TV tuner
Post by: lldalastdon on September 21, 2019, 04:21:00 PM
I use a couple of HDHomeruns and they are connected to my network.  I either connect to it via Emby, Kodi, or its own app on my Shield.  I use it in combination with Emby to schedule and record shows. We've cut the cord about 4 years ago and haven't looked back.  I mounted a really strong antenea in the attic and wired it to my HDHomeruns in the basement.  I got really good reception and its reliable.  I use it every Sunday to watch football. :D   It's also compatible with Plex.
Title: Re: Best TV tuner
Post by: jkasanic on October 18, 2019, 09:56:25 AM
I mounted a really strong antenea in the attic and wired it to my HDHomeruns in the basement.  I got really good reception and its reliable.  I use it every Sunday to watch football. :D  It's also compatible with Plex.
What's a really strong antenna that you can attic mount?
Title: Re: Best TV tuner
Post by: lldalastdon on October 18, 2019, 11:44:24 AM
What's a really strong antenna that you can attic mount?
I bought it years ago.  It reaches out 85-100 miles.  The link is below.  

Link to Antenna (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KUXVKK0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal