AVS Discussions

Projectors => Budget Projectors (Under $2K) => Topic started by: TRainH2O on August 21, 2019, 03:40:31 PM

Title: My 1450 Lamp Hour Scare
Post by: TRainH2O on August 21, 2019, 03:40:31 PM
So, I was playing a bit of Minecraft (yes, I still play) a few nights ago. 

Nothing usual was happening when all of a sudden, my projector goes dark. I look up and the power light was blinking blue and there was another flashing orange. No strange sounds or video abnormalities occurred, just off.

I checked the filter and it was clean.

When I fired it back up, it came back on like normal. I checked the lamp hours and I was at exactly 1450 hours. So is something going on or is this Epson's way of prompting me to order a new lamp?

Either way, it certainly got my attention. :-X
Title: Re: My 1450 Lamp Hour Scare
Post by: AVSMike on August 21, 2019, 04:32:26 PM
Strange occurrence. No reason for it to have happened.
Title: Re: My 1450 Lamp Hour Scare
Post by: AVSJason on August 21, 2019, 04:43:30 PM
Thats strange, I have a 6040 and have not experienced this before. I usually get about 3000 hours out of my lamps before I replace them, even at the 3000 hour mark they still work but are getting too dim. 
Title: Re: My 1450 Lamp Hour Scare
Post by: TRainH2O on August 21, 2019, 04:55:34 PM
The projector has operated flawlessly since then. I do have a new OEM lamp that came with the projector but I was expecting 3000 hours minimum. It doesn't seem any dimmer but I don't have a meter to measure. I do have a colorimeter for my computer monitors ( from back when I was a pro photographer) but I don't think it was meant to be used with a projector.

I suppose I will just wait and see how it goes. 
Title: Re: My 1450 Lamp Hour Scare
Post by: AVSCraig on August 21, 2019, 05:23:54 PM
Maybe your projector hates Minecraft. :-[
Title: Re: My 1450 Lamp Hour Scare
Post by: TRainH2O on August 21, 2019, 05:34:31 PM
Maybe your projector hates Minecraft. :-[
If that's the case, I wonder how JVC feels about it? ::)

For me, it's stress relief. Everything is very neat and orderly. The only real danger is a Creeper sneaking up behind you and blowing up your stuff. 
Title: Re: My 1450 Lamp Hour Scare
Post by: TRainH2O on September 14, 2021, 06:29:15 PM
Well, here we are at lamp hour 2511 and.........

Title: Re: My 1450 Lamp Hour Scare
Post by: TRainH2O on September 14, 2021, 06:30:22 PM
I fire up the projector and I hear the sound of breaking glass. Luckily I still have the new OEM Epson lamp.
Title: Re: My 1450 Lamp Hour Scare
Post by: bmoney on September 14, 2021, 07:34:59 PM
Did it explode in the unit?
Title: Re: My 1450 Lamp Hour Scare
Post by: TRainH2O on September 14, 2021, 09:50:10 PM
Did it explode in the unit?
It shattered inside the lamp housing so it was contained. If you can imagine taking a thin wine glass or champagne flute and snapping the neck, that's what it sounded like. A very crisp snap that only breaking glass makes. 
Title: Re: My 1450 Lamp Hour Scare
Post by: David Vaughn on September 14, 2021, 10:30:49 PM
It shattered inside the lamp housing so it was contained. If you can imagine taking a thin wine glass or champagne flute and snapping the neck, that's what it sounded like. A very crisp snap that only breaking glass makes.
That sucks, but it's part of having a projector. Good that you had a spare on hand. 
Title: Re: My 1450 Lamp Hour Scare
Post by: bmoney on September 15, 2021, 07:43:27 AM
Luckily I’m only at about 1700 hours on my rs600 lamp. I have considered buying a new lamp multiple times. But would rather put that towards a new PJ when the time comes 
Title: Re: My 1450 Lamp Hour Scare
Post by: TRainH2O on September 15, 2021, 11:35:46 AM
Luckily I’m only at about 1700 hours on my rs600 lamp. I have considered buying a new lamp multiple times. But would rather put that towards a new PJ when the time comes
Before this Epson, I bought David's old Mitsubishi just after he went to JVC. I put well over 3000 hours on the lamp that was installed in it and on the replacement lamp. It was still working when I gave the projector to my brother-in-law.

I suppose you just never know how much time is left.
Title: Re: My 1450 Lamp Hour Scare
Post by: bmoney on September 15, 2021, 11:52:04 AM
Before this Epson, I bought David's old Mitsubishi just after he went to JVC. I put well over 3000 hours on the lamp that was installed in it and on the replacement lamp. It was still working when I gave the projector to my brother-in-law.

I suppose you just never know how much time is left.
very true.  i should just bite the bullet. Ive been on this lamp for going on 3 years.  I only watch movies with it
Title: Re: My 1450 Lamp Hour Scare
Post by: AVSCraig on September 15, 2021, 12:01:00 PM
Before this Epson, I bought David's old Mitsubishi just after he went to JVC. I put well over 3000 hours on the lamp that was installed in it and on the replacement lamp. It was still working when I gave the projector to my brother-in-law.

I suppose you just never know how much time is left.
That goes for us too. Buy a new lamp when the picture isn't as bright as you like.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal