AVS Discussions

General => A/V Industry News => Topic started by: richlife69 on December 12, 2016, 03:43:15 PM

Title: ...and it's HERE! OPPO 203
Post by: richlife69 on December 12, 2016, 03:43:15 PM
http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/
Title: Re: ...and it's HERE! OPPO 203
Post by: richlife69 on January 31, 2017, 12:55:46 PM
I posted this to another forum OPPO 203 thread:  (corrected broken link)
http://www.whathifi.com/advice/dolby-vision-hdr-everything-you-need-to-know

Jan 30 from John Archer.  I particularly noted this quote:

"Until CES 2017, it was widely assumed that Dolby Vision hardware (screens and Ultra HD Blu-ray players) needed to carry a dedicated chip. However, it is now possible to add Dolby Vision support via a firmware update to devices with sufficiently powerful processors."
Title: Re: ...and it's HERE! OPPO 203
Post by: AVSCraig on January 31, 2017, 02:37:13 PM
I posted this to another forum OPPO 203 thread:  http://www.whathifi.com/advice/dolby...u-need-to-know

Jan 30 from John Archer.  I particularly noted this quote:

"Until CES 2017, it was widely assumed that Dolby Vision hardware (screens and Ultra HD Blu-ray players) needed to carry a dedicated chip. However, it is now possible to add Dolby Vision support via a firmware update to devices with sufficiently powerful processors."

Interesting, but that link is broken.
Title: Re: ...and it's HERE! OPPO 203
Post by: richlife69 on February 01, 2017, 12:18:36 PM
Hmm -- ok, I'll fix it above, but this is what I found today.

http://www.whathifi.com/advice/dolby-vision-hdr-everything-you-need-to-know
Title: Re: ...and it's HERE! OPPO 203
Post by: AVSCraig on February 01, 2017, 01:25:28 PM
Hmm -- ok, I'll fix it above, but this is what I found today.

http://www.whathifi.com/advice/dolby-vision-hdr-everything-you-need-to-know

Interesting. It remains to be seen how this is actually implemented, and how well it works.
Title: Re: ...and it's HERE! OPPO 203
Post by: richlife69 on February 02, 2017, 11:17:09 AM
Yes.  Also related, in the other forum, JD posted that Denon/Marantz plan to add a firmware update to (at least some of) their 2016 line to enable DV and HLG.  Right now, only OPPO offers a DV option (coming soon in others) that could take advantage of it (along with streamed DV). 

I (we) can hope that Yamaha follows up or already has something similar (yet unannounced).  Maybe better would be for Dolby to announce that they are working with receiver manufacturers to retrofit DV to existing AVRs.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal