AVS Discussions

Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: David Vaughn on May 11, 2019, 10:14:18 AM

Title: Crank (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on May 11, 2019, 10:14:18 AM
(https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2072.0;attach=3089;image)


Studio: Lionsgate
Release Date: May 21, 2019
Rating: R
Film: 2/5

Plot
There are a thousand ways to raise your adrenaline, and today hit man Chev Chelios (Jason Statham) will need every one! He has one hour to settle the score and say goodbye to his girl and go out with a little style. The only question is, will he stay alive long enough to see it happen?

My Thoughts
This is a non-stop action movie from start to finish, but wow, is it a pretty bad film. The acting is weak, the story paper thin, but I give the screenwriter some props for thinking outside the box on the format. Probably my biggest gripes are the lack of character development—it’s moving too fast to even bother—and the rampant use of quick edits. Talk about A-D-D!
The Atmos track slightly outpaces the video, which I found to be a tad hot in its color rendition, but I think this was the look the film was going after.

Video 9/10

Audio 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rvYrVTnSWw (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rvYrVTnSWw)

Conclusion
I thought I’d take a flier on this one and ultimately found it a waste of 90 minutes of my life. I had forgotten that in the early 2000’s, Lionsgate films were relegated to the “B” and sometimes “C” movies. In this case I’d give it a solid “D!” If you’re the type of guy who can check his brain at the door and enjoy completely mindless action films, then this one is definitely for you.


Title: Re: Crank (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: AVSCraig on May 11, 2019, 07:07:08 PM
I love this movie, and I'm upgrading my BR to this 4K disc ! I've probably watched this at least 10 times. Hilarious movie IMO. Skip the sequels. 
Title: Re: Crank (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on May 11, 2019, 08:18:27 PM
I would have probably enjoyed it more without my wife being there. She complained for the entire 90 minutes of the movie. 
Title: Re: Crank (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: AVSCraig on May 11, 2019, 08:27:38 PM
I would have probably enjoyed it more without my wife being there. She complained for the entire 90 minutes of the movie.
It's a film for " the boys " and a bottle of single malt ! The wives have " The Notebook "  ! ;D
Title: Re: Crank (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on May 11, 2019, 08:51:08 PM
It's a film for " the boys " and a bottle of single malt ! The wives have " The Notebook "  ! ;D
ROFL...you made me spit my beer out!
Title: Re: Crank (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: TRainH2O on May 12, 2019, 10:23:03 AM
It's a film for " the boys " and a bottle of single malt ! The wives have " The Notebook "  ! ;D
Exactly. David, you know this. :)
Title: Re: Crank (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: AVSCraig on June 16, 2019, 12:19:43 PM
Dave, how come all the websites say the aspect ratio for this film is 1.78:1, but the case says it's 2.35:1 ? :-\
Title: Re: Crank (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on June 16, 2019, 12:58:06 PM
Dave, how come all the websites say the aspect ratio for this film is 1.78:1, but the case says it's 2.35:1 ? :-\
It has to be a mistake. I thought for sure it was 1.85:1 (or 1.78:1).
Title: Re: Crank (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: AVSCraig on June 16, 2019, 01:15:02 PM
I'll watch it tonight on my 16:9 screen and see- weird ! 
Title: Re: Crank (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on June 16, 2019, 02:11:19 PM
I'll watch it tonight on my 16:9 screen and see- weird !
It's 1.78:1. 
Title: Re: Crank (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: AVSCraig on June 16, 2019, 05:41:12 PM
It's 1.78:1.
Why on earth did they put 2.35:1 on the case and the slipcover then ? Doh ! 
Title: Re: Crank (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on June 17, 2019, 01:34:46 AM
Why on earth did they put 2.35:1 on the case and the slipcover then ? Doh !
Someone screwed the pooch! 
Title: Re: Crank (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: AVSCraig on June 17, 2019, 10:49:37 AM
Someone screwed the pooch!
it's definitely 16:9, despite the case and slip cover saying otherwise. My guest last night laughed his ass off watching too ! 
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal