AVS Discussions

Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: AVSCraig on May 01, 2019, 04:28:12 PM

Title: Alien 4K Blu - ray
Post by: AVSCraig on May 01, 2019, 04:28:12 PM
Alien 4K Blu - ray

Picture - 8.5
Sound - 8
Movie - 9

I watched this last night ( 1979 theatrical version ). I had not seen Alien in quite a while. I don't own it on Blu-ray. But at $ 14.99, is was hard to pass up on 4K. While there are a few somewhat grainy scenes ( it is a 40 year old movie shot on film ), I was pleased at how good a lot of scenes looked. 

The soundtrack is I believe the same as the one on the previous Blu-ray release. 

Overall, I thought it looked quite good for such an old film. If you are a fan of the film, you might pick this up.  
Title: Re: Alien 4K Blu - ray
Post by: tripplej on May 01, 2019, 04:32:36 PM
Thanks for the review. I never saw it or the series. I will have to do an Alien marathon.. :)
Title: Re: Alien 4K Blu - ray
Post by: Barry on May 01, 2019, 05:23:36 PM
The first two Aliens are great. Cameron did the second.  Both are scary! 
Title: Re: Alien 4K Blu - ray
Post by: David Vaughn on May 02, 2019, 02:46:50 PM
While I love 4K, I'm having a hard time justifying rebuying movies that I don't watch very often. Alien falls into this camp...it's a once a decade movie and the Blu-ray is pretty good. Granted, $14.99 isn't a bad price at all though. 
Title: Re: Alien 4K Blu - ray
Post by: AVSCraig on May 02, 2019, 03:38:32 PM
While I love 4K, I'm having a hard time justifying rebuying movies that I don't watch very often. Alien falls into this camp...it's a once a decade movie and the Blu-ray is pretty good. Granted, $14.99 isn't a bad price at all though.
I did not own this on Blu-ray, so it seemed like a no brainer. Plus, with a 4K projector, I'm willing to double dip if I like the film ( Black hawk Down, 13 Hours, Fast and Furious 4K etc. ).  I'm hoping the movie that ties Alien:Covenant to the original comes out at some point, so I figured I had to have the original Alien in the library !! 
Title: Re: Alien 4K Blu - ray
Post by: DavidHir on May 04, 2019, 08:51:19 PM
Fox did a nice job on this as they did with Predator(s) and Die Hard.  It's definitely an upgrade over the BD.  This movie is just made for front projection/big screen.

With Disney now owning Fox, I'm afraid we might not see many more Fox UHD catalog titles.
Title: Re: Alien 4K Blu - ray
Post by: AVSCraig on May 05, 2019, 02:15:43 PM
Fox did a nice job on this as they did with Predator(s) and Die Hard.  It's definitely an upgrade over the BD.  This movie is just made for front projection/big screen.

With Disney now owning Fox, I'm afraid we might not see many more Fox UHD catalog titles.
If we buy catalog titles on UHD, and there is money to be made, we will see more. 
Title: Re: Alien 4K Blu - ray
Post by: DavidHir on May 12, 2019, 03:28:59 PM
If we buy catalog titles on UHD, and there is money to be made, we will see more.

Hopefully so.  The Toy Story movies are on pre-order.
Title: Re: Alien 4K Blu - ray
Post by: Paul Heroy on May 20, 2019, 03:29:38 PM
I've got the 4 movie Alien Blu-ray box set and it's a "once a decade" at best type watch (well the first 2 - the others are probably just "once"). Hard to see double dipping on it for the slight upgrade. 
Title: Re: Alien 4K Blu - ray
Post by: AVSCraig on May 20, 2019, 04:08:21 PM
I've got the 4 movie Alien Blu-ray box set and it's a "once a decade" at best type watch (well the first 2 - the others are probably just "once"). Hard to see double dipping on it for the slight upgrade.
Ya, I didn't have any of the earlier Alien films in my collection - the just two recent ones. If the sequel to Covenant gets made, and does tie directly into the original film, I'll be ready ! 
Title: Re: Alien 4K Blu - ray
Post by: DavidHir on May 22, 2019, 02:18:17 PM
I've got the 4 movie Alien Blu-ray box set and it's a "once a decade" at best type watch (well the first 2 - the others are probably just "once"). Hard to see double dipping on it for the slight upgrade.
For Alien, the UHD BD is a substantial improvement over the BD.
Title: Re: Alien 4K Blu - ray
Post by: Barry on May 25, 2019, 12:44:05 AM
Just got the 4k. Thanks for the review and comments
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal