AVS Discussions

General => Misc. Fun Stuff => Topic started by: tripplej on April 19, 2019, 05:57:51 PM

Title: Inside One of the Last VHS Rental Stores in America
Post by: tripplej on April 19, 2019, 05:57:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7FFMZUywt0
Title: Re: Inside One of the Last VHS Rental Stores in America
Post by: AVSCraig on April 19, 2019, 06:25:22 PM
Who is still watching VHS ? :-[
Title: Re: Inside One of the Last VHS Rental Stores in America
Post by: TRainH2O on April 19, 2019, 07:11:33 PM
Who is still watching VHS ? :-[
Good question, even my Mom has upgraded to DVD. :)

I give my parent's a hard time. They bought a 60" 1080p display long before I did yet they stick to DVDs.
Title: Re: Inside One of the Last VHS Rental Stores in America
Post by: Barry on April 19, 2019, 07:11:42 PM
They have DVDs there too.
Title: Re: Inside One of the Last VHS Rental Stores in America
Post by: tripplej on April 19, 2019, 11:13:31 PM
When I visit some of my senior relatives or friends, they still have VCR players alongside DVD players. None of them have blu ray.. So, I am assuming, they still use their VCR to watch home movies, etc.
Title: Re: Inside One of the Last VHS Rental Stores in America
Post by: DavidHir on May 25, 2019, 02:16:16 PM
DVD is still accounts for about 60% of disc sales worldwide.  UHD BD is about 5.3%.

https://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/041219-1200 (https://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/041219-1200)
Title: Re: Inside One of the Last VHS Rental Stores in America
Post by: DLCPhoto on May 25, 2019, 02:48:32 PM
DVD is still accounts for about 60% of disc sales worldwide.  UHD BD is about 5.3%.

https://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/041219-1200 (https://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/041219-1200)
World-wide, I guess I can understand this.

I'm curious what the U.S. figures would be.  Given the ubiquity of HD or higher flat-screens, the nominal cost of a blu-ray player, the fairly minimal price difference between DVD and Blu-ray, I've always been perplexed how DVD's still feature so prominently at Best Buy, online, etc.
Title: Re: Inside One of the Last VHS Rental Stores in America
Post by: tripplej on May 26, 2019, 06:05:31 PM
see link here (https://media.thinknum.com/articles/dvd-blu-ray-sales-tanking-as-streaming-takes-over/).

(https://i.imgur.com/mTcKr5W.png)
Title: Re: Inside One of the Last VHS Rental Stores in America
Post by: AVSCraig on May 28, 2019, 11:23:49 AM
World-wide, I guess I can understand this.

I'm curious what the U.S. figures would be.  Given the ubiquity of HD or higher flat-screens, the nominal cost of a blu-ray player, the fairly minimal price difference between DVD and Blu-ray, I've always been perplexed how DVD's still feature so prominently at Best Buy, online, etc.
Same here. Maybe the same people that bought $ 290,000,000.00 worth of White Zinfandel last year ( I'd rather drink gasoline ) are buying DVD's. :-X::)
Title: Re: Inside One of the Last VHS Rental Stores in America
Post by: TRainH2O on May 28, 2019, 06:50:58 PM
In a related story, my local news station reported about a VHS rental store in Atlanta.

Turns out it was a "front" for a gambling ring. Maybe if they had updated to at least DVD, they would not have drawn attention to themselves. 
Title: Re: Inside One of the Last VHS Rental Stores in America
Post by: tripplej on May 28, 2019, 10:13:43 PM
Now that is funny...

yeah, I agree, at least make it "realistic".. lol.
Title: Re: Inside One of the Last VHS Rental Stores in America
Post by: TRainH2O on May 29, 2019, 10:28:01 AM
Now that is funny...

yeah, I agree, at least make it "realistic".. lol.
They showed video of the front of the store. All the signage and movie posters were terribly faded and most of them were from movies that I hadn't heard of, mostly Asian titles.

Local law enforcement may be a bit slow at times, but any time your local VHS-only rental store looks like that and has a steady clientele, it's worth looking into.
Title: Re: Inside One of the Last VHS Rental Stores in America
Post by: tripplej on May 29, 2019, 10:49:05 AM
yeah, still funny.

Looks like those criminals were not the smartest bunch apparently.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal