AVS Discussions
Movie and TV Discussion => New Movies => Topic started by: Barry on April 05, 2019, 10:13:23 PM
-
Shazam is an enjoyable movie, but nothing special. I give it 2.5 stars out of four. I saw it in 3D and the #D was minimal, I think it would look better on a full color screen. The surround sound was okay, but nothing special there either. There really isn’t anything new here or unique and it is not a movie I’d rush to see a second time.
To compete with Superman, Fawcett Publications in 1940 created this original Captain Marvel and it lasted until 1954. With the term out of trademark, Marvel comics created their own Captain Marvel in 1968. DC comic bought the original, but cannot use the name because Marvel now has the trademark. So they call the comic SHAZAM. A running joke throughout the movie is that the new hero doesn’t have a name. It was funny the first five or ten times.
In more ways than one this is a family movie. It is obviously mostly made for viewers 8 to 18, with themes they would care about. But it also is a movie about families. We see how Dr, Sivana (played well by Mark Strong) became the villain because of his rotten family. And we see young Billy Batson (Asher Angel) searching for a family, although we know he has already found one.
As with most origin movies we see Billy become Shazam, played very well by Zachary Levi, get his powers, discover his powers and then use his powers. Here it is very lighthearted and therefore different than the others in the DC Universe, who are often referred to here.
There is the big battle at the end and these battles are getting too long for me.
Stay for the credits. There is one scene during the end credits and another one at the very end.
Spoiler alert: For those who know the original Captain Marvel, the entire Marvel family is introduced here, but, they cannot use the word “Marvel” so Captain Marvel Jr. and Mary Marvel go nameless. And see references to our favorite tiger and Mr. Mind.
-
Thanks for the review and back story Barry. Always enjoy your historical references.
I may check it out. Kids want to see it. :)
-
I have watched the trailer and wasn't quite sure I would like this one. It seems a bit goofy but maybe that's the point.
Thanks for your review, Barry and as always, the historical background on the character.
-
Thanks Barry. I'll wait for it to hit home video. The only movie I'll go see at theaters this month (or early next) is the Avenger's mini-series, since it clocks in a over 3 hours long!
-
I should have been clearer, Dave. There is no need to see this in the theatre. Wait until home video.
-
I should have been clearer, Dave. There is no need to see this in the theatre. Wait until home video.
Good to know, thanks.
-
I really enjoyed this film. I thought it was hysterical at times. I'd rate it more like 3.5 out of 4. I loved all the kids in it too. And Mark Strong is always fun. The 4K Blu-ray looks and sounds outstanding. It's a reference demo disc.
-
I should have been clearer, Dave. There is no need to see this in the theatre. Wait until home video.
I don't see ANY movie in the theater. Not since my wife made me go see " Sex And The City " ( 2008 ) and I got dragged to see The Martian while at Cedia in 2015. The Martian looked and sounded better in my theater.
-
I really enjoyed this film. I thought it was hysterical at times. I'd rate it more like 3.5 out of 4. I loved all the kids in it too. And Mark Strong is always fun. The 4K Blu-ray looks and sounds outstanding. It's a reference demo disc.
I agree, this is a reference disc and the movie is funny as well. I've watched it a couple times and use it to demo scenes. The kids were great in this film. :)