AVS Discussions
Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: David Vaughn on March 26, 2019, 09:20:59 PM
-
(https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1935.0;attach=2845;image)
Plot
At the end of the first film, the powerful Dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald (Johnny Depp) was captured by MACUSA (Magical Congress of the United States of America), with the help of Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne). But, making good on his threat, Grindelwald escaped custody and has set about gathering followers, most unsuspecting of his true agenda: to raise pure-blood wizards up to rule over all non-magical beings.
In an effort to thwart Grindelwald’s plans, Albus Dumbledore (Jude Law) enlists his former student Newt Scamander, who agrees to help, unaware of the dangers that lie ahead. Lines are drawn as love and loyalty are tested, even among the truest friends and family, in an increasingly divided wizarding world.
My Thoughts
This was one of the few movies I went to see in the theaters last year and found it to be somewhat middling on my first viewing. In fact, I fell asleep at one point because the story just didn’t keep me engaged. Upon a second viewing, it improved a little bit, but not much. It’s very predictable and while I like how they integrate Dumbledore into the story, I felt the narrative was a bit forced and served more as a point to set up future movies than to tell a full story in this installment. As expected, it ends in somewhat of a cliffhanger so we can run back to the theaters in 2020.
Video 9.5/10
Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)
Special Features:
Blu-ray
- J.K Rowling: A World Revealed
- Wizards on Screen, Fans in Real Life
- Distinctly Dumbledore
- Unlocking Scene Secrets
- The Return to Hogwarts
- Net’s Menagerie
- Credence, Nagini and the Circus Arcanus
- Paris and Place Cachée
- Ministere des Affaires Magiques
- Grindelwald’s Escape and the Ring of Fire
- Deleted Scenes
- Digital Copy
https://youtu.be/8bYBOVWLNIs
Conclusion
Written by J.K. Rowling herself, you got to hand it to the author on weaving a complicated tale that drives people to the theaters, but this series doesn’t have the magic that Harry Potter brought to the masses. This installment lays a foundation for future films and it was entertaining, but it’s not something that sticks with you for very long. The presentation is extremely good, so that’s enough reason to give it at least one viewing.
-
The wife and I are huge fans of the Harry Potter series and had high hopes for this spin-off.
Honestly, we thought that Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was just OK. I'm not sure why, but I couldn't make a good connection with the characters. We blind bought the Blu-ray and I don't think we've watched it more than twice. In contrast, we've rewatched the HP series many times, in addition to rereading the books.
We haven't watched The Crimes of Grindelwald yet but I like the introduction of Dumbledore and the tie to the HP series. At this point, I may just rent it from Redbox and see how we like it.
Thanks for the review, David.
-
Must have been some really comfortable seats in that theater!
-
Thanks for the review. We are also fans of the Harry Potter series and have enjoyed the Fantastic Beasts as well. We saw the first one in theater and loved it and didn't have the time to check this one out. Will take a look.
-
Thanks for the review. We are also fans of the Harry Potter series and have enjoyed the Fantastic Beasts as well. We saw the first one in theater and loved it and didn't have the time to check this one out. Will take a look.
Let me know what you think...my daughter liked it a lot, but she's as big of Harry Potter fan you'll ever meet (she has her own robe and multiple wands--and no, she's not 12, she's 22!).
-
I know the feeling. Both my kids got the wands and the robe and the tie and whatever else they could get their hands on when we went to Universal Studios few years back.. Harry Potter Universe!
Will check it out soon. :)
-
Let me know what you think...my daughter liked it a lot, but she's as big of Harry Potter fan you'll ever meet (she has her own robe and multiple wands--and no, she's not 12, she's 22!).
Mine is 24 and has a wand also. :)
-
I may have to get this. I've enjoyed the HP stuff and my wife loves it. We've both read the books and I have the 4K set of the HP movies, just re-watched them all late last year. This is one of the few things she wanted to go to the theater for. We went to a 3D showing and unfortunately ended up in the very back row of seats (which was fine with her as she doesn't like being very close, whereas I do), so I was in a real funk and didn't really watch it. So I've attended but not seen it, lol.
-
Speaker of Harry Potter and Wands, this is a minor, but important theme, quite unexpected, in the movie The Hate U Give. Just watched that last night, and enjoyed it on many levels.
I don't know if this is on your list, Dave, but I'd highly recommend it.
-
I saw the movie and just loved it, the computer graphics are amazing and it is a nice story about staying true to one's values. Highly recommend this movie
-
I saw the movie and just loved it, the computer graphics are amazing and it is a nice story about staying true to one's values. Highly recommend this movie
Laurie,
You fall into the same camp as my daughter. She loved it as well. I didn't hate it, but it didn't have the same effect on me.
-
We are going to watch this one tonight. The wife and I agreed it was a good night for some light entertainment. Nothing too serious or deep. I bet Crimes of Grindelwald fits the bill.