AVS Discussions

Movie and TV Discussion => Movie reviews => Topic started by: David Vaughn on March 26, 2019, 06:09:57 PM

Title: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on March 26, 2019, 06:09:57 PM
(https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1932.0;attach=2843;image)

Plot
Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, the creative minds behind The Lego Movie and 21 Jump Street, bring their unique talents to a fresh vision of a different Spider-Man Universe, with a groundbreaking visual style that’s the first of its kind. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse introduces Brooklyn Teen Miles Morales, and the limitless possibilities of the Spider-Verse, where more than one can wear the mask. 

My Thoughts
My good friend and comic book historian, Barry, hated this film, which I can see his point given that he’s a “traditionalist” when it comes to comics. Although, as a non-comic book reader, I actually enjoyed the film. I found the writing was good, the voice actors portrayed their roles with convincing authority but I’m not a huge fan of the animation style. It’s a bit too frenetic for me and I ended up having to watch the film over two nights due to the fatiguing visuals—although they do look great in 4K.
The true star of the show is the Dolby Atmos track, which is extremely dynamic and kicks a lot of ass. Discrete effects fly throughout the room, the LFE rocks, and the imaging is awe-inspiring.

Video 9.5/10

Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)


Special Features:

Blu-ray

Conclusion
I’m not sure this would get my vote for Best Animated film because it was a bit too busy for my tastes, but I can see why it won the award because it’s unlike anything you’ve ever seen before. The story itself engaging, although bringing the multiverse into the fold is one of the reasons why I quit watching The Flash—it’s too damn confusing and no one ever really dies since there’s always a replacement on another world that can fill right in. Regardless, I’d definitely check this one out and see if it’s your cup of tea. Recommended. 


Title: Re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: TRainH2O on March 26, 2019, 11:31:53 PM
I am going to rent this one solely based on the fact that it both received the Oscar for Animation and that Barry didn't like it. ::)

Given your description of the animation style, I'm beginning to wonder if watching it on my front projection system will make me a bit nauseous. Oh well, there's only one way to find out.

Thanks for the review, David.  
Title: Re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: AVSMike on March 27, 2019, 09:28:05 AM
Will be a rental for me also. :)
Title: Re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: tripplej on March 27, 2019, 10:13:01 AM
I saw this in the theater and it was different. Not your typical animated film that is for sure.

We all enjoyed it and the kids especially.

We will get this one since I already know it will be seen several times on repeat. lol. :)
Title: Re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: rob-houston on March 27, 2019, 10:14:28 AM
Sure had to scroll a loooooooooong way down to find this!
Title: Re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on March 27, 2019, 01:22:44 PM
Sure had to scroll a loooooooooong way down to find this!
I'm showing this as the sixth topic down from the top in this sub-forum. Are you referring to where this forum is at on the main page?
Title: Re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: rob-houston on March 27, 2019, 05:47:18 PM
Just joking! I almost never go below the Projectors were most of the activity was.

Keep up the good work.
Title: Re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: David Vaughn on March 27, 2019, 06:03:42 PM
Just joking! I almost never go below the Projectors were most of the activity was.

Keep up the good work.
LOL...sometimes the written text can lose its actual meaning :)
Title: Re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: Barry on March 29, 2019, 04:58:12 PM
Tracy said, "I am going to rent this one solely based on the fact that it both received the Oscar for Animation and that Barry didn't like it."

We are back!!!!!!!!:D
Title: Re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: TRainH2O on March 29, 2019, 05:20:16 PM
Tracy said, "I am going to rent this one solely based on the fact that it both received the Oscar for Animation and that Barry didn't like it."

We are back!!!!!!!!:D
Any time you get two polarizing opinions about things like this, it has to be interesting in some manner. 
Title: Re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: DLCPhoto on April 02, 2019, 10:36:51 AM
I just watched this last night, and I really enjoyed it.  Deadpool-type humor, which I enjoy, but obviously on a much less aggressive level!

And speaking of aggressive, the LFE was deep, powerful, and persistent - really gave my sub (with 4 18" drivers) a workout, as well as my foundation!

Visuals were delightful as well.
Title: Re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: TRainH2O on April 02, 2019, 11:57:11 AM
I just watched this last night, and I really enjoyed it.  Deadpool-type humor, which I enjoy, but obviously on a much less aggressive level!

And speaking of aggressive, the LFE was deep, powerful, and persistent - really gave my sub (with 4 18" drivers) a workout, as well as my foundation!

Visuals were delightful as well.
Sounds like something that I would like. I enjoyed Deadpool's "humor" and anytime I watch a movie with good LFE, it's a good time.

I have been trying to get caught up on movies that I bought but never watched. I watched the latest Jurassic Park last night. Although it had some decent LFE it wasn't as impactful as I remember some of the earlier films. 

Maybe I'm just jaded, a LFE junkie looking for an even better fix. 
Title: Re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: Barry on April 02, 2019, 01:45:10 PM
 Comic books like TV shows, have a shelf life and do not last forever. Like TV shows they are cancelled and often brought back, with the same title but different formats and casts.  Star Trek, Hawaii Five O, MacGyver and Perry Mason are some examples.
 
In the 1960s, DC brought back a bunch of characters who had been cancelled and totally redid: The Flash, Green Lantern, Atom, Spectre, Green Arrow,  and even Batman and Wonder Woman got “new looks.”
 
To explain the different characters, DC established that there were separate universes, now called the Multiverse, with an Earth 1, Earth 2, and Earth 3 etc. Eventually this not only confused fans, it confused the writers. San Lee at Marvel, during my era, 1961-77 insisted on one universe where all characters interacted.  You see that in the movies.
 
Peter Parker, Spider-Man is now the only teenager who remembers the Kennedy Administration. He was created in a very different era, where creators were concerned only with just teen age boys who read comic books. Toy, comics books sell about 75% LESS than they did then and creators are more concerned with animation, TV shows and movies. So they created this new Spider-Man, to appeal to a wider audience.
 
So they jumped on the Multiverse bandwagon, just as the New Star Trek Discovery did.  So they can kill characters and then replace them with duplicates. Death has no meaning and nothing is forever. And they can have crazy opposing plotlines at the same time.
 
But a Spider-pig?  This movie is for kids and I hope they enjoy it.  Same is true for the Homecoming live action movies.


Title: Re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (UHD Blu-ray) review
Post by: tripplej on April 02, 2019, 03:34:54 PM
Barry,

My kids loved the movie. It is a kids movie, yes.. Kids will love it.

As for spider ham, lol. he was funny. Brought me back to the Looney Tunes of bugs bunny, etc.

I was looking as to who spider ham was and found the below.

(https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/4HZY1_9_Kb5Odheq914eucXpzNA=/0x0:486x738/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:486x738):format(webp):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/12542983/Marvel_Tails_Starring_Peter_Porker_the_Spectacular_Spider_Ham_Vol_1_1.jpg)

per polygon (https://www.polygon.com/comics/2018/10/2/17773556/spider-ham-pig-character-marvel-history),


Quote
"Created by writer Tom DeFalco (a co-creator of the X-Men character Dazzler and a long time Spidey writer who’d wind up as Marvel editor-in-chief in 1987) and artist Mark Armstrong (a funny animal comics veteran), Spider-Ham premiered in “--If He Should Punch Me!” as part of Marvel Tails #1 (Nov., 1983)."



SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal