AVS Discussions

Projection Screens => Screen Acoustics V6 => Topic started by: pjneder on April 22, 2018, 11:21:48 AM

Title: Refit of v6 fabric to Elite screen frame
Post by: pjneder on April 22, 2018, 11:21:48 AM
Hi all,

First I'll apologize for not having pictures. I was working more than documenting and others have posted so many good pics that mine would be redundant.

In preparation for upgrading from my wonderful work horse JVC RS46 to a spiffy new RS520 I thought it was time to consider a new screen. I've generally given quite a bit of side-eye to spending large amounts of money on my screen. When I got the RS46, my budget and conscience would only allow me to get an Elite Screens AT 2.35:1 at 115". The size was dictated by the room but the budget by me. [If I have a complaint in the AV sales world it is that screens on the one thing that are almost impossible to find a side-by-side comparison of. That makes it quite difficult to understand where all that money is going.]

With the advent of options like the Screen Acoustics materials, it gets easier to upgrade from a cost perspective. After researching and then talking to @Mike of AVScience I decided to put a higher quality material on my existing frame. I think the comparison picture on the site might be Elite's AT beside the SAv6. Here are some things I learned and feedback based on Mike's very helpful instruction:

I purchased the 2m x 3m package of material and rails. This was to retrofit an Elite Screens aluminum frame 2.35:1 @ 115"


Conclusion:
This material is already a substantial improvement over the stock Elite Screens AT material. I noticed more detail, better color rendering, deeper blacks and overall more "pop" than the original material. This was not some psychosomatic reaction but a noticeable improvement before I even re-focused the projector! I even turn the aperture on my RS46 from -6 to -8 to match previous brightness (to my naked eye). This was an instant improvement and one I'm sorry I didn't do a long time ago. This will definitely allow me to have a better experience with the new RS520 and a highly recommended upgrade. A nice step from a cheap screen to a really expensive high end model.

One more side story to add for comparison:
When I first got my Elite Screens (and by the way, I'm not knocking them since you get great value for the $ at Elite) frame built and installed I noticed something funny. There were twinkles in the middle of the screen. Seemed like they were in a line vertically exactly in the middle. I quickly realized that the aluminum center cross brace was reflecting light. This meant the weave of the screen fabric and the perforated black light absorbing fabric was such that light could get through bounce off and get BACK through enough to show up as twinkles. I had to take the screen down and paint the brace matte black and re-install.

Now comes the new v6 fabric. Because of the grip rails I had to flip the cross brace over so it would fit into the slots and clear the rail. This meant the unpainted silver side was once again facing the viewer. I said to my friend, let's try this out as it will be a true test of the light reflection/blocking capabilities of this fabric. What do you know, not a single twinkle or sparkle out of it. This material passed that test as well!

Let me know if you have questions!
Title: Re: Refit of v6 fabric to Elite screen frame
Post by: AVSMike on April 22, 2018, 10:54:56 PM
Yep, V6 fabric is a really good AT fabric. And the grip rail install does a fantastic job. My screen looks great up close with the lights on and fantastic with an image in the dark. :)
Title: Re: Refit of v6 fabric to Elite screen frame
Post by: AVSCraig on April 23, 2018, 12:56:00 PM
Excellent report - thanks !
Title: Re: Refit of v6 fabric to Elite screen frame
Post by: bochoss on October 05, 2018, 04:46:11 PM
Going metal to plastic, I recommend using some self tapping metal screws. I felt more confident with the ability to hold tension. Maybe glue alone would work but screws in the corners and every 12"-16" are probably a good idea.

Did you put the grip rails in the groove of the Elite Screens frame? (the groove normally used for the tension rod system). Or did you have to attach the grip rails to the flat part of the frame?

Was there any gap (in the depth direction) between inner edge of the frame and the screen material when you were done?
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal