AVS Discussions

General => Misc. Fun Stuff => Topic started by: Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting on November 23, 2016, 12:24:37 PM

Title: How many squares do you count?
Post by: Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting on November 23, 2016, 12:24:37 PM
Put on your thinking cap see what you can do with this, its one of my favorite puzzles and most people come up with varying numbers...

(http://www.rjventure.com/images/geometrypuzzle002.jpg)

Title: Re: How many squares do you count?
Post by: NBPk402 on November 23, 2016, 12:33:40 PM
34? I am assuming when counting the bigger boxes you are not allowed to overlap...as an example: when counting 2x2 squares you move over 2 squares vs moving over one square?
Title: Re: How many squares do you count?
Post by: bmoney on November 23, 2016, 12:49:10 PM
i think there is a formula to find out quickly....but my brain is shut down for turkey day holiday
Title: Re: How many squares do you count?
Post by: Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting on November 23, 2016, 12:55:26 PM
i think there is a formula to find out quickly....but my brain is shut down for turkey day holiday

I heard that bud, every time i post this puzzle I have to recount myself several times before i feel comfortable stating a number, and like you, my mind is only focused on all that food to be consumed tomorrow and beyond during my favorite time of the year.
Title: Re: How many squares do you count?
Post by: AVSEdo on November 23, 2016, 12:58:30 PM
54
Title: Re: How many squares do you count?
Post by: Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting on November 23, 2016, 01:11:13 PM
34? I am assuming when counting the bigger boxes you are not allowed to overlap...as an example: when counting 2x2 squares you move over 2 squares vs moving over one square?

There is no restriction on overlaps, if it works out to be a perfect square it counts as far as I'm concerned, except i don't think extending imaginary lines counts, that would be the only restriction I can think of...
Title: Re: How many squares do you count?
Post by: claw on November 23, 2016, 02:05:07 PM
74

48 1x1
15 2x2
 8 3x3
 3 4x4

Title: Re: How many squares do you count?
Post by: stridsvognen on November 23, 2016, 04:01:16 PM
I agree on the 74.
Title: Re: How many squares do you count?
Post by: bmoney on November 23, 2016, 04:02:47 PM
sounds logical :)
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal