AVS Discussions

Audio => Preamps/Preamp-processors => Topic started by: NBPk402 on November 14, 2016, 01:04:05 PM

Title: Dirac Processors
Post by: NBPk402 on November 14, 2016, 01:04:05 PM
In the last couple of years it appears that Dirac is the HOT new processor to use. I went with the MiniDSP DDRC-88a about a year after it arrived on the market, and even with the quirks it has had, I am pretty happy with it. I would like to not have to deal with Phoenix connector blocks though. In the last year though i see other Manufacturers jumping on the Bandwagon and I think Dirac is soon going to be the best you can get for room tuning software that consumers can use.

Recently MiniDSP offered a firmware update ($99) that gives you full crossover capability too. I jumped on this and sold my Xilica crossover, and have not looked back.

I also picked up a 2nd DDRC-88a for my setup, and now it is working for my Atmos channels too.

At $1k per box it is not cheap, but at the same time it is not as expensive as getting a Trinnov Optimizer though.


Is anyone else experienced Dirac, or own one?
Title: Re: Dirac Processors
Post by: AVSMike on November 14, 2016, 01:19:55 PM
I used a DDRC-88A in my system for a year. It worked well, but I decided to simplify my system some, so sold it off. I also did not like that I was adding a lot of delay, since my LCR's are active, so the audio traveled through the 88A and then to a pair of 10x10HD's. I also would have needed a second 88A to take care of my Atmos speakers and that would have added more complexity. I will say the 88A does do what it claims and if I did music listening in my HT, I probably would have kept it in my system. Like you, I do not like Phoenix connectors and I also have a bunch of them. I have 24 Phoenix connections in my system. When I also had the 88A, I had 46 Phoenix connections. I removed the 88A and one six channel amp (replaced with three 2-channel Crown amps) that used Phoenix.
Title: Re: Dirac Processors
Post by: NBPk402 on November 14, 2016, 01:41:22 PM
I used a DDRC-88A in my system for a year. It worked well, but I decided to simplify my system some, so sold it off. I also did not like that I was adding a lot of delay, since my LCR's are active, so the audio traveled through the 88A and then to a pair of 10x10HD's. I also would have needed a second 88A to take care of my Atmos speakers and that would have added more complexity. I will say the 88A does do what it claims and if I did music listening in my HT, I probably would have kept it in my system. Like you, I do not like Phoenix connectors and I also have a bunch of them. I have 24 Phoenix connections in my system. When I also had the 88A, I had 46 Phoenix connections. I removed the 88A and one six channel amp (replaced with three 2-channel Crown amps) that used Phoenix.

I def like a less complex setup, but the advantages of Dirac were more important to me. I also had the problem of an extra device to travel through (Xilica 3060 crossover), but when they came out with the firmware update for a crossover it made it much simpler of a setup for me. Will I have this setup forever... Not sure as if it gets even more popular and other AVR/AVP get it, I might very well jump ship, and go to a AVP or AVR with it built in (I still would like XLRs though). If I would have waited another 6 months to a year to get my Yamaha...there is a very good chance I would have went with a Preamp with Dirac built in instead, and stayed with the Xilica crossover.
Title: Re: Dirac Processors
Post by: bmoney on November 22, 2016, 10:22:28 AM
I also was an early adopter...however after a while I realized it wasnt a 1000.00$ worth of better sound....yes it sounded better...but I found better use for the 1k or in your case 2k!  I wish I had that kind of money to use for RC...but Audyssey imho is 95% that of Dirac...and its included in the processor so even better!
Title: Re: Dirac Processors
Post by: NBPk402 on November 22, 2016, 11:50:22 AM
I also was an early adopter...however after a while I realized it wasnt a 1000.00$ worth of better sound....yes it sounded better...but I found better use for the 1k or in your case 2k!  I wish I had that kind of money to use for RC...but Audyssey imho is 95% that of Dirac...and its included in the processor so even better!

I lucked out and picked up my 2nd box used. I had Audyssey before I got Dirac, and what I found is with Dirac I can run the calibration over and over with every tune being sonically the same. When I ran Audyssey, every tune was sonically different, plus it was very cumbersome to load different tunes. This is what drove me to Dirac. Hopefully my next AVP/AVR will have full Dirac implemented internally.
Title: Re: Dirac Processors
Post by: bmoney on November 23, 2016, 12:25:08 PM
my only gripe with dirac...is it takes a good hour to run it correctly
Title: Re: Dirac Processors
Post by: NBPk402 on November 23, 2016, 12:28:45 PM
my only gripe with dirac...is it takes a good hour to run it correctly

Once it is all hooked up it takes no longer for me than Audyssey did when I had it...why is it taking an hour for you to run Dirac? Maybe it is because I have run Dirac several times, and I am familiar with what needs to be done?
Title: Re: Dirac Processors
Post by: bmoney on November 23, 2016, 12:33:53 PM
minimum 25 mintues to run all the speakers in 9 spots ....then tweak the curve...then upload
then 20 minutes to run rew to make sure all is good...

this does not include setup (making sure mic levels are correct etc)

I have had it since well before the minidsp was out (with the xmc-1) so I am very familiar with it,....just takes way to long to run ..audyssey is 25 minutes total ...and not that much of the worse than dirac....ymmv
Title: Re: Dirac Processors
Post by: NBPk402 on November 23, 2016, 12:35:57 PM
minimum 25 mintues to run all the speakers in 9 spots ....then tweak the curve...then upload
then 20 minutes to run rew to make sure all is good...

this does not include setup (making sure mic levels are correct etc)

I have had it since well before the minidsp was out (with the xmc-1) so I am very familiar with it,....just takes way to long to run ..audyssey is 25 minutes total ...and not that much of the worse than dirac....ymmv
OK, now i understand. I only ran REW when i was doing my crossovers...after that i have not run REW again, so my process is shorter than yours.
Title: Re: Dirac Processors
Post by: bmoney on November 23, 2016, 12:37:22 PM
and for some reason....when done and MV was at 0.0 I never got 75db for my testones....so always had to bump up the trims


PIA
Title: Re: Dirac Processors
Post by: NBPk402 on November 23, 2016, 12:39:03 PM
and for some reason....when done and MV was at 0.0 I never got 75db for my testones....so always had to bump up the trims


PIA
:o The few times I have checked my levels they were right on the money.
Title: Re: Dirac Processors
Post by: bmoney on November 23, 2016, 12:39:53 PM
i think it had to do with the voltage and my speakers
Title: Re: Dirac Processors
Post by: NBPk402 on June 01, 2021, 04:19:14 PM
Well I sold my Dirac when I moved to Mexico, and I ended up buying 2 more again. After a few months I have decided it is time to sell both of them and the Yamaha cxa5100, and get a new AVP with Dirac built in. By going this route I can also get Auro3d, and newer technology all in one unit with less wires.
Title: Re: Dirac Processors
Post by: bmoney on June 01, 2021, 10:38:57 PM
Lots more
Options now for Dirac
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal