AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Home Theater Seminar

AVSMike

Home Theater Seminar
« on: February 22, 2017, 01:25:48 PM »
A great opportunity to listen to several experts in the AV industry. Also the chance to see some of the latest products. Free registration until 2/28/17. $25 after the 28th and $50 at the door. Locations and dates:

March 11th & 12th
1 to 6PM
Denver Tech Center Marriott
4900 S. Syracuse Street
Denver, CO 80237

March 18th
1 to 6PM
Colorado Springs Marriott
5580 Tech Center Drive
Colorado Springs, CO 80919

Speakers
Chris Deutsch with JVC
Gregg Loewen with Lion Audio & Video
John Schuermann with The Screening Room
Brad Waite with The Screening Room
Kris Deering with Sound & Vision

Topics of discussion:
Decoding jargon: UHD, HDR, 4K, WCG
Projectors vs. flat panels
Choosing the right screen
How to get rid of black bars on movies
Speakers / room acoustics
Audio myth busting - science vs. snake oil
All about immersive audio (Atmos, DTS-X, Auro)
Proper room layout and seating distances

Registration e-mail:  seminar@thescreeningroomav.com

« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 10:36:14 PM by AVSMike »
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

Re: Home Theater Seminar
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 11:01:16 PM »
Hello all, and thanks Mike for posting info about the event! Here are more details on the Colorado Home Theater Seminars, described above.

We have created a landing page with full details on guest speakers and presentation topics, with links for registration here:

http://www.thescreeningroomav.com/home-theater-seminars-spring-2017.html

We have also created a Facebook event registration page here:

https://www.facebook.com/thescreeningroomav/app/467671603304208/

Our goal is to make this a FUN and INTERACTIVE event, NOT a dry and boring lecture.

PRODUCTS ON DISPLAY / AVAILABLE FOR DEMO

JVC DLA-RS4500 – the world’s first THX Certified Laser 4K HDR Projector
JVC DLA-RS620 – 4K E-Shift HDR projector with the industry’s best native contrast ratio
Stewart 2.35:1 Industry Reference StudioTek130 and 16:9 Phantom High Ambient Light Rejecting Screens
JBL Synthesis M2 Studio Monitors
JBL Synthesis S2S-EX Subwoofers
JBL Synthesis SDA8300 and SDA4600 amplifiers
Revel F208 Performa3 Tower Speakers
Revel C208 Performa3 Center Speaker
Revel M106 Bookshelf Speakers
Anthem AVM60 ATMOS Surround Processor
Anthem MRX720 ATMOS Surround Receiver
Oppo UDP203 UHD Blu-ray Player
Emotiva XPA3 amplifier

More detail on our presenters:

Chris Deutsch

Chris Deutsch is National Product & Training manager for JVC, as well as West Coast Accounts Sales Manager for the Projector category.  He has been with JVC for 27 years.  Over the years, home theater projectors have become his passion, and he travels coast to coast working with JVC distributors, dealers and end users.

Gregg Loewen

President of Lion Audio Video Consultants and Video Standards Instructor for THX Ltd. Lion AV consulted extensively with THX to design the THX Video Calibration Program, with Gregg being the worldwide instructor. Gregg has consulted with: Atlantic Technology, Outlaw Audio, 20th Century Fox, Warner Bros., Widescreen Review, Optoma, Pioneer, JVC, Panasonic, LG Electronics, Epson, SpectraCal, Consumer Reports, and THX Ltd. Gregg has personally performed more than 4,000 calibrations over the past 16 years!

John Schuermann

John has been intensely involved in both the professional and consumer audio / video worlds since the mid-1980s, as a filmmaker, sound designer, film composer, and home theater engineer. From 2008 - 2012 John was VP of Sales and Marketing for Panamorph and was responsible for training A/V dealers around the world about film aspect ratios and proper display of film formats in home theater environments. From 2012 forward,John worked closely with major Hollywood studios and various major consumer electronics manufacturers to add enhancements and improvements to UHD (Ultra High Definition) delivery formats and standards.

Brad Waite

Brad has been engaged in a number of aspects of both professional and consumer audio and video for nearly three decades. He is a member of the CEA (Consumer Electronics Association) and SMPTE (Society of Motion Picture & Television Engineers). Brad was the founder and lead engineer for a respected home theater design and installation company with a national impact. His passion for making the application of technology approachable to non-tech-savvy clients led to numerous lectures and educational seminars. Previously, Brad was an early adopter of computer-generated imagery (CGI), long before the industry as we know it today existed.

Kris Deering

As well as being the Tech Editor and Lead Writer for Sound and Vision magazine, Kris Deering is also an Acoustics Engineer for the US Government and a popular and respected contributor to many popular home theater forums. Kris’s reviews of projectors, screens and electronics are considered by many to be definitive. In addition to his work at Sound and Vision, Kris has also contributed to Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity and other home theater / hi fi publications.

Thanks all and hope to see you at the event!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 03:57:29 AM by Bob Perry »
John Schuermann
www.thescreeningroomav.com Home Theater Design
www.jsmusicandsound.com Post Production Audio / Original Music for Film and Video
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 07:09:48 PM »
Happy to announce another special guest at the seminar - Robert Keeler, VP of Sales with Stewart Filmscreen, who will be at our Denver events :)
John Schuermann
www.jsmusicandsound.com Post Production Audio / Original Music for Film and Video

TWISM

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 10:37:05 PM »
Very cool. I am just a couple hours away and I am hoping to make this event.
HT - RS2000 - ST130 - RMC-1 - XPA-7 - XPA-5 - GE Triton 2 - GE Supercenter XXL - GE Invisa 650 x 8 - Xbox One X - PS4 Pro - Oppo BDP-203 - Kalediscape Strato - HTPC 2080ti-  Dual SVS PB16-Ultra's - Lumagen Radiance Pro

AVSMike

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 08:31:36 AM »

Should be a good event, Chris. Also a good opportunity to see the RS4500.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 02:18:23 PM »
Hope to see any of you guys there! I will be arriving the day before and will do my best to ensure both the RS4500 and RS620 look their best. I know I've been to plenty of demos where I felt they weren't performing at their full capability, I'll be doing my best to ensure that won't be the case this time around!! Should be a lot of fun.
Technical Editor/Writer
Sound and Vision

Pro Calibration, Consulting and Education: www.deepdiveav.com

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 02:20:12 AM »
Wish I could make it. It sounds like a VERY interesting event!
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

AVSMike

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 10:42:49 AM »
Hope to see any of you guys there! I will be arriving the day before and will do my best to ensure both the RS4500 and RS620 look their best. I know I've been to plenty of demos where I felt they weren't performing at their full capability, I'll be doing my best to ensure that won't be the case this time around!! Should be a lot of fun.

I assume you will be running stock HDR curve and not custom curve on either machine?

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 02:27:10 PM »
I assume you will be running stock HDR curve and not custom curve on either machine?

I am planning on doing custom curves on both of them. It will all depend on the screens/rooms used, but I plan on making them both look their best. Probably won't have a linker to use, so no DI, but see no reason not to use a custom HDR curve to match the setup.
Technical Editor/Writer
Sound and Vision

Pro Calibration, Consulting and Education: www.deepdiveav.com

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 08:56:53 PM »

Cool! Here is a direct link for registration:

http://www.eventbee.com/v/tsrav

Free registration ends tomorrow night :)
John Schuermann

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 08:59:26 PM »
The RS4500 will be on a 153" 2.40:1 StudioTek130, and the RS620 will be on a 135" 16:9 Stewart Phantom.
John Schuermann

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 10:47:18 PM »
Is the RS620 being shown in a room/theater with ambient light? I'm just curious as to why it's being shown with that screen material.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 05:40:23 PM »
Is the RS620 being shown in a room/theater with ambient light? I'm just curious as to why it's being shown with that screen material.

The room has light colored walls and ceiling, but primarily we just want to show what a high ambient light rejecting screen can do. The Phantom is a new material and Stewart would like everyone to see it.

After being in the front projection business for 14 years - as a dealer as well as VP of Sales and Marketing for Panamorph for 4 of those years - I can say that only about 20% of the home theaters I've seen are really ideal for a screen like, say, a Studiotek 100. Media rooms are very popular these days, and a Phantom can be ideal for those kinds of applications.

Plus we'll have our StudioTek130 on display in the other room. We'll also have screen samples of just about every screen material known to humankind :)
John Schuermann

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 08:29:51 PM »
Hello all!

Due to some technical difficulties with the Facebook ticket registration tab not working properly on mobile devices, we've extended free registration through March 3, 2017  Here is the direct link to the registration page:

http://www.eventbee.com/v/tsrav
John Schuermann

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 01:02:17 PM »
Looking forward to meeting everyone! 

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal