AVS Discussions
  Go Down

4K Movies you own or must have.

NBPk402

• Living the retired life
4K Movies you own or must have.
« on: December 07, 2016, 06:48:23 PM »
I am just starting to buy 4K movies, and thought it would be nice to see what 4K movies people have, and if they were happy they got the 4k version.

So far I have Star Trek Beyond, and Jason Bourne. I have only been able to watch them on BR as i don't have a 4K player yet (we do have a 4k FP in our family room though for when we get a 4K player or I figure out how to rip them to the NAS in 4k).

What 4K movies do you have, and was it worth it to get them over the BR?
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: 4K Movies you own or must have.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 07:04:46 PM »
I'll chime in again tomorrow after I experiment tonight with some new ones, but right off the bat, all three Star Trek reboots really look great to me on 4K UHD BR.

The Revenant - not as great an improvement, but the color looks more realistic. The Blu Ray is already " top tier " picture wise.

Deadpool - detail is better on the 4K, but again - being a new movie, it's already " top tier " picture wise.

From what you and Travis and I saw, Pacific Rim is a big improvement over Blu Ray, as is The Great Gatsby.

More tomorrow.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

NBPk402

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 07:08:44 PM »
I'll chime in again tomorrow after I experiment tonight with some new ones, but right off the bat, all three Star Trek reboots really look great to me on 4K UHD BR.

The Revenant - not as great an improvement, but the color looks more realistic. The Blu Ray is already " top tier " picture wise.

Deadpool - detail is better on the 4K, but again - being a new movie, it's already " top tier " picture wise.

From what you and Travis and I saw, Pacific Rim is a big improvement over Blu Ray, as is The Great Gatsby.

More tomorrow.
Thanks Craig, this def helps me decide whether it is worth it to upgrade to a 4K movie if i already have the BR version. Did you get Jason Bourne yet?
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 07:30:03 PM »
Thanks Craig, this def helps me decide whether it is worth it to upgrade to a 4K movie if i already have the BR version. Did you get Jason Bourne yet?

The Bourne movies - all the Matt Damon ones anyway, are filtering in over the next week or two ! I skipped the Jeremy Renner one, due to lame reviews.

NBPk402

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 07:32:26 PM »
The Bourne movies - all the Matt Damon ones anyway, are filtering in over the next week or two ! I skipped the Jeremy Renner one, due to lame reviews.
I have all of them, but only the latest one in 4K...anxious to hear how it is in 4K.

bmoney

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 09:15:07 PM »
Sicario
Revenant
Pacific rim
Lucy
Star Trek into darkness
Dead pool

And watch secret life of pets. Could be the best looking animated feature in 4k
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

NBPk402

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 12:10:15 PM »
Sicario
Revenant
Pacific rim
Lucy
Star Trek into darkness
Dead pool

And watch secret life of pets. Could be the best looking animated feature in 4k

Have you compared any of them to the BR version...curious as to whether or not they are worth buying over the BR only version (I already have the BRs).

bmoney

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 12:44:54 PM »
Have you compared any of them to the BR version...curious as to whether or not they are worth buying over the BR only version (I already have the BRs).

Sicario
Star trek
pacific rim

are all large upgrades over the BR (sicario not as much but the other 2 yes)

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 12:46:35 PM »
Is the first Star Trek (2009) UHD BD still an upgrade over the Blu?  Someone on another forum told me it had noticeable compression artifacts.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 01:04:47 PM »
Is the first Star Trek (2009) UHD BD still an upgrade over the Blu?  Someone on another forum told me it had noticeable compression artifacts.

I think it looks better on 4K myself. Haven't noticed those artifacts.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 01:22:41 PM »
I currently have on 4K -

have and have watched -
Sicario
Star Trek
Star Trek Into Darkness
Star Trek Beyond
The Revenant
Maze Runner - The Scorch Trials
The Martian
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Deadpool

have but have only previewed selected parts to compare with the Blu Ray -
Kingsman - The Secret Service
Mad Max - Fury Road
The Hunger Games ( all four - box set )
Lucy
Oblivion
Pacific Rim
The Great Gatsby

have but haven't watched yet ( they just came ) -
Everest
The Shallows
Jupiter Ascending
Lone Survivor

ordered but haven't arrived yet -
John Wick
Jason Bourne
The Bourne Identity
The Bourne Supremacy
The Bourne Ultimatum

on my radar to order when the price falls to $20 or less -

Sully
Argo
The Town
Arrival
Deepwater Horizon
The Accountant
I Am Legend
Allied

« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 01:52:12 PM by AVSCraig »

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 02:13:51 PM »
Thoughts on watching some of my new 4K Blu Rays last night -

The Hunger Games - the first movie doesn't look much better than the Blu Ray ( which I knew from reviews ), the 2nd one looks a bit better, and the 3rd and 4th movies definitely look better.

From bluray.com - "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is presented on 4K UHD with a 2160p transfer in 2.40:1 (kind of interestingly, the 4K UHD version does not "expand" to 1.78:1 for the actual games sequences, though I didn't notice any problematic framing as a result). " - at least the variable aspect ratio is gone. Fine by me.

Mad Max - Fury Road. I used to prefer the Blu Ray on my Sony VW600. I liked the motion better, and there was some video noise present on the JVC. With the 4K Blu Ray, the motion looks as good or better on the JVC, and I didn't see the noise. This would be my preferred way to watch it.

Lucy. Lucy already looked top tier on Blu Ray. Now, those long cityscape scenes look even more detailed and solid. The big improvement for me - motion looks far better on the JVC now than the Sony VW600 ( which was the Sony's strength in my opinion ). Motion is clear and solid on the 4K Blu Ray.

Oblivion is another top tier Blu Ray. I did see more picture noise on the JVC RS600 with the Blu Ray in the past, and preferred to watch this on my Sony VW600, except the dark scenes were compromised. I think that - despite reports the the 4K Blu Ray isn't as detailed due to filtering, looks slightly better overall due to less video noise on the 4K disc when watched on my RS600.

That's all I have right now !

« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 02:45:27 PM by AVSCraig »

bmoney

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 02:22:30 PM »
Although the details were better on oblivion 4K most scenes were actually sharper on BD

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

richlife69

• Let's find some grass and roll in it!
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 04:25:17 PM »
The Samsung K8500 came in as planned yesterday, got connected in without a problem and has played the few discs I tried (BR, CD) and the one UHD I currently have (the remaining long list is all "wishlist") without issues.

The UHD movie is Independence Day -- there is nothing else I have seen more often over these years.   I have to recommend it (it's the only one!).  Seriously, I DO recommend it.  It made the non-Fake list and does look awfully good.  And the soundtrack in DTS:X is awesome! 

My Vizio is early UHD and won't handle HDR (at least as a norm), and I haven't had time to play with that yet, but the image is just amazing.  Since the box includes both the UHD and the BR, it's easy to play and compare both.  In my mind (yes, word carefully chosen), the UHD is clearly better.  Foreground faces appear to have an almost 3D relief where the BR is definitly a flat 2D.  This adds just a touch of realism to the whole movie.  I had to keep looking because I really didn't believe it.  So while I know its all being upscaled on the tv, I would have to suggest that the image I see in the UHD copy is better than the BR.

So someone PLEASE check it out and come back and challenge me if need be.  But meanwhile, after the sun sets and I put the sound absorbing blinds down for best audio effect, I will once again be off enjoying one of the great entertainment experiences of our time. 

Edit:  After writing the above, I went off to see if my opinion was shared.  Try this review on for size:  http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Independence-Day-4K-Blu-ray/151490/
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 04:35:24 PM by richlife69 »
Atmos/DTS:X Setup
Yamaha RX-A3060 w/ Elan Z-Fan; Config: 7.2.4 (switchable to 7.2.2 + Zone2)
Mirage Speakers: OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR); ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP)
aci Titan subs (2) RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
OPPO 203;  LG OLED65B6; Harmony 650 and Hub

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 05:01:45 PM »
I am waiting on the Oppo 203 to get my first UHD player.  I have purchased ONE and only one UHD BD......I haven't watched it (in any version), and didn't see it in theaters.....

Batman V Superman!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know, it tanked in theaters.....I'm a fan of both franchises, and I swore to my buddy (and my movie sidekick daughter) that I wouldn't watch it until we saw it on the big screen in the new home theater!!!!!

It's like saving yourself for marriage, except not "quite" as much fun.....

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal