AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Hdfury 4/3D be aware before you buy.

Hdfury 4/3D be aware before you buy.
« on: November 30, 2016, 02:51:47 PM »
For quite a few years now its there has been listed some false specs on the Hdfury4, so i put together some test results showing some of the problems.
Hdfury is aware, and refuses to respond or correct the specs so that people may be aware of the units actual capabilities.

First its listed as a high end converter, wich might be right 10 years ago, but today its not a problem to find converters that perform better for 10-20$ but the Hdfury 4 is also packed with other features, and one of them is a scaler gui who alow users to adjust timings on 72 and 96hz output, but its to say it mildly a problematic feature to make work, and i never really was able to perform fully to my expectations.

First a 720P 60hz green SMPTE pattern whos around 75Mhz pixel clock.

Re: Hdfury 4/3D be aware before you buy.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 02:54:30 PM »
Here is a 1080P 60hz 148Mhz pixel clock, and you can see the vertical 1:1 box starting to show quite some roleoff.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 03:02:18 PM »
Here is a more interesting one 1080P 72hz 178Mhz pixel clock.. The device is speced to 200Mhz pixel clock, and the main reason for most users to buy this unit is to run high pixelclock for frame tripling of 24hz sources or do 3D.
The dacs simply crap out when working over about 150Mhz, making it impossible to resolve the image in any decent way.
This is a hardware defect in the analog stage, so if you have a good converter, it can be used as a HDMI in HDMI out device to perform the frame tripling, wich is what ill recommend, as it handles the digital signal very well, there is only a minor croma loss, wich there is in almost every processor.

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 03:06:09 PM »
Here is the SMPTE  at 178Mhz first the Hdfury as a converter, the next is the Hdfury as a digital processor Hdmi in Hdmi out douing the frame tripling, into a capable converter.

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 03:24:38 PM »
The Hdfury4 will work well for 720P displays, and to most 1080P displays as most older analog input displays wont handle the bandwidth anyway.

Ill think it has a bandwidth around 100Mhz, so ultimatly ill call it a 720P 60hz device if it has to add the high image quality lable.

It will strip HDCP from the signal, so any copy protected content will be output on the analog outputs, wich is the case with most of these chinese produced converters.

When playing with the porch timings in the scaler gui you will notice that the total pixel clock is off, and that they calculate the 72hz as a even 72hz, and not 71,928 so if you calculated timings be aware that you hit the limit around 199,75Mhz and not 200Mhz as advertised.
I also was never able to get the output frequence to match with a even frame tripling of 23,976hz when playing with the porch timings..  so you have to play with the H total to see how goes, and how to get the closest.

Sometimes you simply gets a odd framerate output, so check your display what it recives, it took me 2 years of experimenting to get close, and im not sure how i did it, ill have to try see if i can repeat the results, or it was pure luck.
I doubt there will be a firmware update to fix the bugs, as its been known for a very long time, and i have not had luck finding anybody else that made the scaler gui work, or capable of testing it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 03:55:48 PM by stridsvognen »

alangouger

• My avatar, me in my bat cave theater.
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 06:05:44 PM »
God stuff. I always wanted a oscilloscope but the time needed to learn to use it kept me from moving forward. Good to see someone getting technical on us all:)

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal