AVS Discussions
  Go Down

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

HomeTheaterGuy

• Your friendly neighborhood admin
    • AV Science
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
« on: November 28, 2016, 01:27:08 PM »
Movie trivia: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King won all 11 Academy Awards it was nominated for.

bmoney

Re: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 03:37:21 PM »
Movie trivia: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King won all 11 Academy Awards it was nominated for.

damn impressive

now I have to go back and watch the trilogy..some of my alltime favorite movies
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 03:56:11 PM »
Its also something speciel.. A movie that alow you to watch it more than 1 time and still experience something new, as its kind of impossible to absorb it all the first time.

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 04:07:34 PM »
I'm going to watch all three extended Blus again.  I usually watch these every couple of years or so.

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 09:07:08 PM »
Just bought this series. Extended version. Looking forward to watching these as I still haven't watched the 3rd one.

bmoney

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 07:54:54 AM »
Just bought this series. Extended version. Looking forward to watching these as I still haven't watched the 3rd one.

its only 4 hours long lol

I LOVE the EE but its so hard to watch them cause of their length...but they are epic
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

NBPk402

• Living the retired life
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 01:55:22 PM »
They are long, but so good to watch!
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

richlife69

• Let's find some grass and roll in it!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 05:01:37 PM »
I'm going to watch all three extended Blus again.  I usually watch these every couple of years or so.

I just watched it again myself and expect to do so again in the near future.  With a new 4K BR player coming in tomorrow and a new fully 4K HDR WCG 65" tv in the offing, what else can I do???  But then, with luck there will be a fully re-mastered 4K version coming out and then...

Along the line of the OP, this series actually got "cheated" -- should have gotten Best Picture and more for each of the three, but the Academy decided to take the series as one movie.  Try watching them all at once in sequence and tell me it's one movie!  That was a purely political move to spread the wealth and the previous two winners did not deserve the award in comparison.  (IMO)
Atmos/DTS:X Setup
Yamaha RX-A3060 w/ Elan Z-Fan; Config: 7.2.4 (switchable to 7.2.2 + Zone2)
Mirage Speakers: OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR); ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP)
aci Titan subs (2) RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
OPPO 203;  LG OLED65B6; Harmony 650 and Hub

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 05:40:26 PM »
Great movie.  Great movies!  I love the LOTR series, and Hobbit as well.  LOTR is the best, however...

RM

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 01:14:11 AM »
Reading through this thread again, and now I want to start this series again, with my oldest daughter! But, not until the theater is up.....

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 07:12:51 PM »
I just watched it again myself and expect to do so again in the near future.  With a new 4K BR player coming in tomorrow and a new fully 4K HDR WCG 65" tv in the offing, what else can I do???  But then, with luck there will be a fully re-mastered 4K version coming out and then...

Along the line of the OP, this series actually got "cheated" -- should have gotten Best Picture and more for each of the three, but the Academy decided to take the series as one movie.  Try watching them all at once in sequence and tell me it's one movie!  That was a purely political move to spread the wealth and the previous two winners did not deserve the award in comparison.  (IMO)

The features of that TV are kind of superfluous when you factor in the blu-rays are only 1080p SDR REC709, but I'm sure it will still look great on your TV.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 10:10:57 PM »
its only 4 hours long lol

I LOVE the EE but its so hard to watch them cause of their length...but they are epic

One thing that works well with these is to watch them as a "mini series" over six nights (instead of three) watching one disc each night since each extended movie is split over two discs.

jetsen

• Home Cinema freak and custom installer
    • Cinedream
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 02:32:02 AM »
I just went thru the 3 Hobbits on my brand new JVC Z1, looked stunning. Now the LOTR is next on my list, it has been a long time ago that I watched these.

richlife69

• Let's find some grass and roll in it!
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 11:54:21 AM »
The features of that TV are kind of superfluous when you factor in the blu-rays are only 1080p SDR REC709, but I'm sure it will still look great on your TV.

True, but...  You also have to consider the entire package.  The OPPO is new and has not seen LOTR.  The new TV at 65" is a significant improvement over 55".  OLED over Vizio LCD is an improvement (yet to be determined how much -- at least by me  ::) ).  And finally, my hope is that by the time I get back to doing LOTR -- and now The Hobbit -- (since I just watched it in Dec.), I have high hopes that we will see re-issued UHD HDR BT2020 versions to go along with the new TV.  I think you'll agree that the assemblage is not at all superfluous.   8)
Atmos/DTS:X Setup
Yamaha RX-A3060 w/ Elan Z-Fan; Config: 7.2.4 (switchable to 7.2.2 + Zone2)
Mirage Speakers: OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR); ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP)
aci Titan subs (2) RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
OPPO 203;  LG OLED65B6; Harmony 650 and Hub

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 07:02:34 PM »
True, but...  You also have to consider the entire package.  The OPPO is new and has not seen LOTR.  The new TV at 65" is a significant improvement over 55".  OLED over Vizio LCD is an improvement (yet to be determined how much -- at least by me  ::) ).  And finally, my hope is that by the time I get back to doing LOTR -- and now The Hobbit -- (since I just watched it in Dec.), I have high hopes that we will see re-issued UHD HDR BT2020 versions to go along with the new TV.  I think you'll agree that the assemblage is not at all superfluous.   8)

Yes, I agree UHD HDR and REC2020 color would not be superfluous on that TV, but that's only if these films are released on UHD BD with all of these things done properly. We've seen many lack-luster UHD BDs released due to them being upscale content with little color and dynamic range advantage over the 1080p counterpart. There have been many doubts that this will make it's way to UHD BD with everything being "real 4K". By real 4K, I mean a 4K or higher resolution telecine scan of the film, all CGI rendered at 4K and color/dynamic range grading done faithfully. Scanning the film in at least 4K resolution is easy, but the cost to render the CGI for the whole trilogy in 4K will be extremely costly. Peter Jackson himself has said that you cannot simply take the old 2K textures and simply re-render them at a high resolution. He's mentioned that to do this properly, new textures would need to be created to get the proper "look". When you factor in there is almost 12 hours of footage, you can only imagine how much work and money this would be. Color grading and creating more dynamic range as accurately as possible might prove to be an issue too now that Andrew Lesnie has passed away. Peter Jackson himself will have to oversee most of this grading seeing how the DoP is no longer alive. For the sake of this trilogy I hope there are extensive notes from the original color grade done back in the early 2000's.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 07:32:17 PM by Dylan Seeger »
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal