AVS Discussions
  Go Down

4K "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" sound track

4K "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" sound track
« on: October 24, 2017, 02:21:07 PM »
I just purchased Close Encounters 4K and am confused regarding the sound track. The only review I read indicated it to be DTS but the disc I have is only in Dolby with no choice option to select DTS.  Does anyone have this 4K and, if so, what type of sound track do you see?

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: 4K "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" sound track
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 04:05:17 PM »
I just purchased Close Encounters 4K and am confused regarding the sound track. The only review I read indicated it to be DTS but the disc I have is only in Dolby with no choice option to select DTS.  Does anyone have this 4K and, if so, what type of sound track do you see?

The 4K presentation offers audio in the same lossless English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio mix that was included on the 30th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray (see my review here). The mix is smooth and enveloping, with subtle and nuanced staging and placement. The dynamic range is impressive too, with thunderous LFE support when the visuals call for it. The rumble of energy when Roy has his first encounter out on a dark country road is just as intense as you’d expect, and the blast of the Mothership’s “light and sound” signals at the end of the film is deep and eerily disturbing – just as it should be. I suppose a new object-based audio mix could have added something to the surround experience here, but I’m not sure how much. Additional audio mixes are available in French, German, Italian, Castilian Spanish, Latin Spanish, and Japanese 5.1 Dolby Digital, as well as Portuguese Dolby 2.0 Surround. Optional subtitles are available in English, English SDH, Arabic, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Brazilian Portuguese, Portuguese, Romanian, Castilian Spanish, Latin Spanish, Swedish, Thai, and Turkish.

http://thedigitalbits.com/item/close-encounters-40th-gift-uhd-brd
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 04:06:17 PM »
I haven't put this in my player yet, so I'm just going off the review.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 05:21:37 PM »
I haven't put this in my player yet, so I'm just going off the review.

Please let me know if your 4K is in DTS...I don't understand why my copy is only Dolby without any choice for DTS. It's so weird that I have the 4K version that includes the CD and the booklet yet the soundtrack is only Dolby.

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 01:58:20 AM by ed weinman »

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal