AVS Discussions
  Go Down

JVC DLA-R//S500U

JVC DLA-R//S500U
« on: November 12, 2016, 08:41:45 PM »
I'm having a terrible time getting NETFLIX to be view able on my JVC.

Equipment:
...Dish HOPPER receiver with 25ft. HDMI cable directly to HDMI1 JVC input...
...Blu-ray Pioneer Elite player connected to the Anthem Statement D2 v 3D surround player then the HDMI cable out
   to the JVC HDMI2 input...
...Dish Joey receiver in the bedroom HDMI'd to my 47: Samsung tv.

There is and was no problem getting NetFlix on the Samsung.

When I first got NetFlix via the Dish Hopper, everything worked fine for a short while.  Then, reception became erratic
finally resulting in the NetFlix immediately shutting down the Dish Hopper.

After weeks of calls between Dish technical support and NetFlix technical support I had a DISH technician finally come
out to review the problem.  After more than two hours of trying to manipulate various ways of getting NetFlix, the following were ruled out:
1) It is not a NetFlix problem
2) It is not a Time Warner Cable problem
3) It is not a Dish problem because the JVC causes the breakdown in the visual transmission

The Dish technician believes that there is some sort of breakdown between the DISH HOPPER and the JVC that prevents the JVC from projecting NetFlix programming.The technician suggested that I contact JVC for technical support.  NOTE:
every time I attempt to click on to the Hopper NetFlix,  the same thing happens.  There is some sort of breakdown in
communication between the Dish and JVC units.  I can hear the JVC sound sort of shutting off when this occurs.

MIKE,  if you are reading this, can you PLEASE suggest anything and/or give me a JVC technical support phone number which I can use?

I don't know what to do at this point.  The technician put a parental control on the Dish Net Flix so that if I inadvertently click on to it, instead of the Dish unit locking up and the JVC's sound disappearing I can still go back to regular Dish programming.

I hope the above makes sense.  (Please note that I have purchased enough HDMI cables to open a cable store!)

Thanks for any response.  (Note: the technician said that there was sound coming from the NetFlix network (although I was not aware of it).  I have the second HDMI output from the DISH to my Anthem Statement surround processor for sound.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 12:22:36 PM by ed weinman »

AVSMike

Re: JVC DLA-R//S500U
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 10:03:21 AM »
Are you having problem sending 4K or 1080P to the projector?
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 11:54:12 AM »
Are you having problem sending 4K or 1080P to the projector?

Mike,
I'm having no problems sending 1080p to the projector via blu-ray or regular DISH NETWORK programming (which, I believe is mostly 1080i..I may be wrong, however).  BUT, when I choose to view something on YOUTUBE via DISH and pull up all 4K programming, at the moment when the program starts there is a written line at the top of the image which should, I believe, show 4k; it does not.  It shows HD.  I don't have any other source for 4k because I waiting for information on the upcoming OPPO 4K products.

So, I don't know if I'm viewing YOUTUBE 4k or viewing via eshift.  The projector certainly does not have it's normal sound coming from it affected when YOUTUBE comes on like the trouble I'm having with NETFLIX where the projector sound when it shuts off then appears to go on.  I say "appears" because I get so frustrated at that point of having to reboot the DISH HOPPER receiver every single time that I'm not paying attention to anything else.

(...sorry for the long response...)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 12:00:36 PM by ed weinman »

AVSMike

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 01:04:59 PM »
Connect the BD player directly to the JVC and play a movie. If you get image, then I know 100% the problem is not the projector. The projector does not know, nor would it care what the 1080P(i) sourced is from a BD player or a set top box.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 01:08:14 PM »
Connect the BD player directly to the JVC and play a movie. If you get image, then I know 100% the problem is not the projector. The projector does not know, nor would it care what the 1080P(i) sourced is from a BD player or a set top box.

...will do and respond...
Thanks

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 01:40:23 PM »
...ok, Mike...

I give up...the blu-ray player connected directly to the JVC works fine...

So...Dish/ NetFlix say that it is not a problem from their end...the JVC says it will not accept NETFLIX...

...DISH has spoken to me for what seems a life time (two months?) about then even lied about knowing or not knowing the problem)/ NetFlix has also spoken
to me about this...

...the DISH technician says that, after all his manipulations of testing in my home for over two hours, there
is a breakdown of communication between the JVC and NetFlix...

...SO...what do I do?...cancel NETFLIX and just live without it?  I've depended on that channel for alot of my
viewing and to what end...(and, remember, I get NETFLIX just fine via DISH's Joey unit in my bedroom connected to a 47" tv although it is not 4K).

...No one will diagnose the actual problem and attempt a fix...

...I've never been in such a situation regarding all this in my life.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 02:56:10 PM by ed weinman »

AVSMike

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 03:26:53 PM »
Now connect just the Hopper directly to the JVC (do not connect Hopper to AVR) and see if you get picture from one of the stations. If that works, then try Netflix, but make sure you are trying 1080P netflix, not 4K.

Added
What do you mean when you say the JVC says it will not accept Netflix? Are you saying a message pops up on the JVC? If so, then it sounds like you are trying to send 4K to the projector? Please advise.

The JVC can accept 4K, but it can be a problem with setup, whereas 1080P should not be a problem at all.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 03:30:23 PM by AVSMike »

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 06:20:58 PM »
Now connect just the Hopper directly to the JVC (do not connect Hopper to AVR) and see if you get picture from one of the stations. If that works, then try Netflix, but make sure you are trying 1080P netflix, not 4K.

Added
What do you mean when you say the JVC says it will not accept Netflix? Are you saying a message pops up on the JVC? If so, then it sounds like you are trying to send 4K to the projector? Please advise.

The JVC can accept 4K, but it can be a problem with setup, whereas 1080P should not be a problem at all.

Mike,
The HOPPER has never been connected to the AVR; it has always been HOPPER HDMI out directly to the JVC HDMI1 input. (The second HDMI HOPPER output does go to the AVR for sound.)

As far as the JVC "not accepting NETFLIX, it was the DISH technician who finally arrived at that conclusion. Please
remember that I cannot access NETFLIX at all.  I can access YOUTUBE and watch 1080 programming (and I do have eshift on all the time); however, I when I attempt to watch YOUTUBE 4k programming the top of the program, on initiation, does not say 4K but, rather HD.  Should I be turning off eshift for YOUTUBE and/or NETFLIX?  I'll try that and respond.

(Have I understood your concerns correctly?)

ADDENDUM:  O.K....I've tried YOUTUBE first without the eshift on to see if the 4K program would reflect "4K" at the top of the screen...it does not.

Then, I've tried to put on NETFLIX without the eshift to see if I could get reception.  The NETFLIX logo goes on for a few seconds that disappears from the screen leaving the screen blank.  The projector does it's act with NETFLIX by having it's internal sound go off but, note, the projector does not turn off.  I had to reboot the DISH HOPPER to get regular DISH programming. I am able to turn off the JVC normally with the remote as usual.

That's my story!!  Your a braver man than I to take this all on!
NOTE: I do receive NETFLIX on my computer which is in my home theater (if that matters).
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 06:39:13 PM by ed weinman »

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 06:48:49 PM »
Mike,
The HOPPER has never been connected to the AVR; it has always been HOPPER HDMI out directly to the JVC HDMI1 input. (The second HDMI HOPPER output does go to the AVR for sound.)

As far as the JVC "not accepting NETFLIX, it was the DISH technician who finally arrived at that conclusion. Please
remember that I cannot access NETFLIX at all.  I can access YOUTUBE and watch 1080 programming (and I do have eshift on all the time); however, I when I attempt to watch YOUTUBE 4k programming the top of the program, on initiation, does not say 4K but, rather HD.  Should I be turning off eshift for YOUTUBE and/or NETFLIX?  I'll try that and respond.

(Have I understood your concerns correctly?)

ADDENDUM:  O.K....I've tried YOUTUBE first without the eshift on to see if the 4K program would reflect "4K" at the top of the screen...it does not.

Then, I've tried to put on NETFLIX without the eshift to see if I could get reception.  The NETFLIX logo goes on for a few seconds that disappears from the screen leaving the screen blank.  The projector does it's act with NETFLIX by having it's internal sound go off but, note, the projector does not turn off.  I had to reboot the DISH HOPPER to get regular DISH programming. I am able to turn off the JVC normally with the remote as usual.

That's my story!!  Your a braver man than I to take this all on!
NOTE: I do receive NETFLIX on my computer which is in my home theater (if that matters).

Why aren't you running your Dish Hopper through your AVR ? That's what I do. I don't watch Netflix though. But if this is only happening with 4K from Netflix, I'd say your HDMI cable is probably the culprit.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 07:58:13 PM »
Why aren't you running your Dish Hopper through your AVR ? That's what I do. I don't watch Netflix though. But if this is only happening with 4K from Netflix, I'd say your HDMI cable is probably the culprit.

If I want to view 4K, Mike, the Anthem Statement v2 3D is not a 4K video processor. It processes 1080p.

And, if you can tell me what HDMI cable will definitely work...I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your help.

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 12:29:44 AM »
...well Mike...

I connected the DISH HOPPER as you suggested to the AVR and am able to view NETFLIX...I assume that what comes out of the AVR visually is 1080 and the JVC eshifts the image.

At least I can receive NETFLIX in my home theater at what ever resolution I'm watching (and I have no idea what it is).  I've put on YOUTUBE 4K videos but I guess that what I'm watching is the images manipulated by eshift.

AVSMike

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 11:16:40 AM »
What the Dish technician told you is incorrect. There is no problem with the JVC. It did not make sense that you could not receive 1080P Netfix, when you are able to receive other 1080P content on the JVC. As I said the JVC has no way of knowing what device the content is coming from. I suspect when you connected the Hopper directly to the JVC, the Hopper was trying to send 4K Netflix to the JVC and that is what is causing the problem. It can be hard to find a cable that works for 4K and just because one person bought a specific cable and it worked for them, does not mean it will work for you. Now you can buy certified 4K HDMI cables, but 20' to 25' is probably as long as they come. You can talk to Bluejean cables or if you need a longer cable, you can call us about a Celerity fiber optic cable. People have had sucess with 40', 50' and 60'. Probably could go longer, just don't know of anybody that has needed anything longer that has tried the Celerity.

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 11:59:01 AM »
What the Dish technician told you is incorrect. There is no problem with the JVC. It did not make sense that you could not receive 1080P Netfix, when you are able to receive other 1080P content on the JVC. As I said the JVC has no way of knowing what device the content is coming from. I suspect when you connected the Hopper directly to the JVC, the Hopper was trying to send 4K Netflix to the JVC and that is what is causing the problem. It can be hard to find a cable that works for 4K and just because one person bought a specific cable and it worked for them, does not mean it will work for you. Now you can buy certified 4K HDMI cables, but 20' to 25' is probably as long as they come. You can talk to Bluejean cables or if you need a longer cable, you can call us about a Celerity fiber optic cable. People have had sucess with 40', 50' and 60'. Probably could go longer, just don't know of anybody that has needed anything longer that has tried the Celerity.

...just a big thank you to Mike for assisting me...we just talked on the phone and I'm grateful for his knowledge and help...Mike is a big asset to our home theater needs and all who are reading this need to know that he is a great person to go to for your home theater purchase and/or problems. 

AVSMike

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

NBPk402

• Living the retired life
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 01:12:13 PM »
Ed, take a look at this article.
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/uhd-blu-ray-vs-hdmi-%E2%80%93-pt-2-which-cables-can-actually-pass-hdmi-20#Q5brt9eIxMj2OKQQ.97

Thanks for the link Mike, I am happy to see that Monoprice still has cables that can compete with the expensive brands for very reasonable prices.
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal